Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on this week on my 99 RAV4, which has 65K miles on it. I went to AutoZone and borrowed their Actron CP9136L Code Scanner and downloaded the trouble codes. The scanner said there are 2 codes. But they came up the same-P1133. According to the scanner, it referred to "fuel air metering". AutoZone gave the following: HO2S INSUFFICIENT SWITCHING SENSOR 1 / BANK 1 FUEL CONTROL SHIFTED LEAN (FAOSC).

The vehicle sometimes idles low on startup. Also the oil light seems to take forever(3-4 seconds) to go off. Can anyone help with interpreting the scan results and how to make the necessary repair(s)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
davelew said:
The scanner said there are 2 codes. But they came up the same-P1133. According to the scanner, it referred to "fuel air metering".
Might be related to this ---> http://rav4world.com/tsb/EG012-01.pdf

Your vehicle is out of warranty, but since this is a known problem, maybe you can get Toyota to pay for part/most of the repairs.

If the dealer won't help you out, try these numbers -
800-331-4331 - Toyota Customer Assistance Center (US Only)
800-GO-TOYOTA (800-468-6968) - Toyota Information Center (US Only)

US Corporate Office:
Toyota Motor Sales USA
19001 S. Western Avenue
Torrance, Calif. 90509
(310) 618-4000 (general number)
(310) 781-2442 (Exectuive Customer Relations)
(from the RAV4 FAQ - http://ralphb.net/RAV4FAQ.html#1.3)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the Toyota Customer Center and the guy basically said that my vehicle is out of warranty.

I checked out the TSB and it referenced diagnostic procedures in their repair manual. Can anyone help me with the diagnostic procedures as I don’t have their service manual? Replacing the A/F sensor should be straight forward, but I want to exclude all other causes before paying the big $$ for the sensor.

Also, the check engine light has since gone off after being on for 3 days. It has been 4 days and the Check Engine light has not come back on. Could there be something else going on?

I prefer to perform the work myself if at all possible. I have had some bad experience at a couple of Toyota service departments.

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you buy one go here www.bosch4less.com

The price is a whole lot better here 8)
From what I can tell, there is no way to really test it without the scan tool. What your code is saying is that the sensor is responding slower than it should be. The only option is replacement.

The sensor you need is the one before the cat, with the flange on it, I believe. Can I get a second opinion on that one guys?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts