Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today happen something that has never happen to me before. Well, at least not to me. The check engine light went on today. I got the SCANNER and it was the P0110, which is the IAT Sensor Circuit Malfunction. . After a while, the light went off by itself. That's strange? Did it fix itself? Did the sensor after the engine warmed us kicked in again? Has this happened to anyone before? The mileage was OK, no excess gas used. No stinky gas smell at the muffler.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Although this has never happened to my RAV4, it did happen with my previous car. I can almost guarantee that your oxygen sensor has gone, which is nothing serious. Oxygen sensors are needed when the car is cold (hence the malfunction). Once warm everything returns to normal and the light switches off.

The reason why the engine needs the oxygen sensor is because the amount of oxygen that the engine can pull in depends on all sorts of things, such as the altitude, the temperature of the air, the temperature of the engine, the barometric pressure, the load on the engine, etc.

When the oxygen sensor fails, the computer can no longer sense the air/fuel ratio, so it ends up guessing (big deal). Your fuel consumption might be slightly affected.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found the problem. After class I was giving my RAV4 basic maintenance. I notice the battery was a little loose from its base. So I proceeded to uninstall the battery base and from the corner of my eye I saw some loose black tape. Thinking that water might get in I followed the wire and it was from the CAI senor. Aha! When I unwrapped the wires they were green. :roll: The wires were connected to the Next Level Performance Module. I cut and rewired them and used copper wiring. Done. When I fired up the old RAV4.1 it came to life with a different sound to it. In a little while I'll give it a blast and see how much better or how much worst is the power.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, power is back to snuff. Definitely more torque and speed. I knew the sensor wasn't thrashed. It looked like some times it worked, and some times it didn't. Looks like the lack of an electrical connection triggered the "Check Engine" light. The exhaust sounds a lot more louder know though. I'm triggering all the cars alarms as I pass by parked cars. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts