Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my check engine light came on last night =( i'm at about 46000 miles, just got an oil change last month or so... the last time it came on was during one of the hothothot days and it went off after the car cooled, but now it's rainy and cool so....?

and yes i drive about 350 miles a week but f'n toyota wants 85 for a diagnostic before they even find out what's wrong!!! what do i do?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
This happen to me last week. Every time I went to my toyota dealers 80 something just for a Diagnotic check. I guess you will have to do what I did. Go to your nearest Pep Boys, and buy yourself an Actron Scanner. Keep it handy. You'll plug in under the dash on the driver side, you can't miss it. Just turn the key, BUT DON'T TURN ON THE CAR. It's so you can see all the RED lights on your dash on. Wait a few seconds, an the code will flash on your scanner. Hit the READ button to see if it has more then one code.

It comes with software and booklet with all the Codes that will ID the problem. It uses an OBDII. [RAV4.1]. The price for the scannr is about 60 to 70 bucks. But it's YOURS. You don't have to go to Toyota for a rip off.

After you have ID the problem, just walk in and ask for your part and get on with your life.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
autozone does it for free?

*shakes fist at toyota*

my buffalo toyota would check it for free.

maybe i can check ebay for that scanner thing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts