Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody get this combination of lights? On our 2012 4 cyl, got this combination coming on routinely. The code that comes up is P0138 which is oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I have replaced this sensor with an aftermarket NGK sensor. (It is the one in the exhaust under the car behind oil pan). Reset the code. My wife takes it to work about 20 miles away, lights stay off. She starts the car later to come home, the lights come on after about 5 miles. I reset the code again by disconnecting the battery. The next day the exact same thing occurs. Anyone had this occur? I have tried tightening the gas cap and resetting codes, same thing. Checked all the plug ins.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Toyota uses Denso oxygen sensors, I would go with that.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Anybody get this combination of lights? On our 2012 4 cyl, got this combination coming on routinely. The code that comes up is P0138 which is oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I have replaced this sensor with an aftermarket NGK sensor. (It is the one in the exhaust under the car behind oil pan). Reset the code. My wife takes it to work about 20 miles away, lights stay off. She starts the car later to come home, the lights come on after about 5 miles. I reset the code again by disconnecting the battery. The next day the exact same thing occurs. Anyone had this occur? I have tried tightening the gas cap and resetting codes, same thing. Checked all the plug ins.
I believe it's
DENSO 234-4622 OE-Style. but you can double check on denso website. I got mine from ebay for 44.00 last year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Anybody get this combination of lights? On our 2012 4 cyl, got this combination coming on routinely. The code that comes up is P0138 which is oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I have replaced this sensor with an aftermarket NGK sensor. (It is the one in the exhaust under the car behind oil pan)
The P0138 cropped up on my 2009 I4 last year and the indicated problem was the Bank 1 Sesnsor 2 02 sensor. But the real culprit was Bank 1Sensor 1 A/F sensor, It is accessed from top front engine, before the cat. It has happened to others with the earlier 2.4L engine per this thread, so it seems our 2.5L is also susceptible:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177449-p0138-o2-sensor-replaced-but-not-fixed-what-else.html

I'd stay with the OEM Denso not aftermarket. For the 2AR-FE engine (2.5L 4 cyl) the B1S1 Denso part is 234-9022. DIY not extremely difficult. Paid Amazon online $92.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Replaced sensor 1 as well and no lights so far so it appears that the problem was related to the top o2 sensor not the bottom one. Thanks to all who replied and the posters that indicated that this was the solution to the problem. Apparently this problem is the same on both the 2.4 and 2.5L engines.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for reporting your solution. I have a feeling more folks will encounter this P0138 trouble code and be "tricked" to replace the bank 1 sensor 2, while it is really the upstream B1S1.

I'm a numbskull on these sensors, but I interpret the problem to be a faulty B1S1 which in turn caused the B1S2 to be 'stuck too rich.' Thus the code mistakenly tags the B1S2.

Credit to forum member nbknt who measured the B1S1:

It was bad Air/Fuel ratio sensor.

The OBD data log showed long term fuel trim is +7% or more even though AFR sensor output is in good range.
AFR sensor output shifted to lean and ECM was fooled and injected more fuel.
That's why O2 sensor stuck rich.

After replaced AFR sensor, CEL/VSC/4WD lights were gone and fuel trim%, AFR, O2 data is in normal range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 4cl RAV4, and that combination of lights came on this morning after getting an oil change and air filter replaced. The computer readout indicate an air sensor code, but it turned out to be that the young mechanic had forgotten to re-attach the hose to the air filter housing. That was it! So apparently this combination of lights can be triggered by any number of issues, big or small with the air flow -- including but not limited to, the front or rear air sensors, or even a loose gas cap

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 4cl RAV4, and that combination of lights came on this morning after getting an oil change and air filter replaced. The computer readout indicate an air sensor code, but it turned out to be that the young mechanic had forgotten to re-attach the hose to the air filter housing. That was it! So apparently this combination of lights can be triggered by any number of issues, big or small with the air flow -- including but not limited to, the front or rear air sensors, or even a loose gas cap
I just got this combination of lights after an oil change and air filter replacement. I went back to the shop and they reconnect the hose that popped off. What is the "code" for resetting the lights? It sounds like just unhooking the battery? Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If there's nothing wrong the lights will go out by themselves after driving a while. You can get a cheap OBDII reader if you want to shut them off yourself.

I think if you discount the neg battery for 5 minutes it will also clear the codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 4 cyl RAV4 which displayed these three lights last Sunday (9/27) as I drove back from Costco, and have been on since. During this drive, I didn't get gas, so I don't think it's a gascap issue. I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to see the solutions. However...I'm not a mechanic. The extent of my maintaining my car is washing, waxing, and following the maintenance schedule. I'm considering getting this fixed at either the dealership where I bought it or a AAA-approved Repair Shop. Has anyone had experience in getting this issue fixed in either of those places? How much was your repair? I'm certainly aware of the "dealership upcharge" and any info you can provide on what to expect I'll be paying would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I have a 2012 4 cyl RAV4 which displayed these three lights last Sunday (9/27) as I drove back from Costco, and have been on since. During this drive, I didn't get gas, so I don't think it's a gascap issue. I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to see the solutions. However...I'm not a mechanic. The extent of my maintaining my car is washing, waxing, and following the maintenance schedule. I'm considering getting this fixed at either the dealership where I bought it or a AAA-approved Repair Shop. Has anyone had experience in getting this issue fixed in either of those places? How much was your repair? I'm certainly aware of the "dealership upcharge" and any info you can provide on what to expect I'll be paying would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe you should check out this sticky thread:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts