Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 Base RAV4 ~135,000 miles

This evening I heard an odd rattle and looked down to the dash and had 3 lights on- Check Engine, VSC and Traction Control. Car was still running. When I stopped the car, turned the engine off and then turned it back on (no problem) all 3 lights stayed on.

Six days ago I had the oil changed, the transmission fluid flushed and the interior cabin air filter changed out.

I went to O'Reily's Auto Parts and had them run an engine scan. They printed out 4 error codes for me:
B1810, C1201, C1223 and C1249

The car made it back home fine. I noticed that the rattle only happens while accelerating, which I was certainly doing gingerly! (car problems make me nervous) Purchased this vehicle last summer from a KIA dealership. (My last car was a 1997 Geo Prizm that I drove from 1999 to 2016)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I did. Thanks. Read through as many threads as I could find that referenced these dash lights. Unfortunately, I haven't found any references to the 4 fault codes so was hoping someone with more experience could give me some information. So as to be prepared for the mechanic's response this afternoon. 25 pages is a lot to go through, though, so I might have missed an explanation of the codes!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

I went to O'Reily's Auto Parts and had them run an engine scan. They printed out 4 error codes for me:
I dont know about those codes. You might want to try and google them . All the codes ive seen start with P.

https://www.check-engine-light.com/trouble-codes?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

Here's a couple of examples

P0137 O2Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank #1 Sensor #2)
P0138 O2Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank #1 Sensor #2)

You might want to take it to another place to have the codes read again.

You could also buy a cheap obd2 reader and check it yourself. Always good to have so you can erase the codes and see if they come back .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxgord-CAN-OBD-II-Scanner-Tool-for-Check-Engine-Light-Diagnostics-Direct-Scan-/291926791852?hash=item43f83156ac:g:BAcAAOSwcLxYFNSn

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hyper-Tough-HT309-MaxiScan-MS309-OBD-II-EOBD-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-/162327051113

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

I don't know about those codes. You might want to try and google them . All the codes I've seen start with P.

Here's a couple of examples

P0137 O2Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank #1 Sensor #2)
P0138 O2Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank #1 Sensor #2)
The P codes are powertrain codes. The B codes have to do with the body computer, and the C codes are communications codes from various ECU's.

You could also buy a cheap obd2 reader and check it yourself. Always good to have so you can erase the codes and see if they come back
The cheap code readers you mentioned will only read emissions related powertrain codes. If the problem is with the ABS or SRS it will do no good. Sounds like the parts place she went to used a high end professional scanner that reads more than just OBD codes.

OK NOLAgirl, the C1249 is an open in the stop light switch circuit. This could be as simple as a bad brake light switch on your brake pedal.

The C1201 code is Engine Control System Malfunction. This is kind of a generic code that says something else is wrong. It could be caused by the C1249.

The C1223 is ABS Control System Malfunction. This definitely has to do with the C1249.

And finally, the B1810 says that there may be a short in the driver's side airbag. Is your airbag light on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts