Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friends,

I know its summer time aleady and i cant wait till I go on long driving trips this year. As a previous TUNDRA 4X4 V8 DOUBLE CAB OWNER, I traded it for my BRAND SPANKIN NEW I4 sport RAV4(gas price is absolutely insane). My tundra performed really good last winter 8" 10" no problem....although the back end slip a little bit cause i had no weight in the back(bed). I was just wondering, about my new 06 RAV4. maybe some of you guys have driven the 05' or more previous year RAV's on snow is it decent?? good traction?.....how about 8-10" of snow??? we get lots of those during winter time.

thanks in advance

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the snow is not over your bumper, you should be ok! Snow tires are nice, but not necessary if you are a good foul weather driver :wink:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I live in New Enland, I drove my RAV on about 8" of snow 2 or 3 months ago. It track fine, unlike your old Tundra, the RAV have VSC which makes the back harder to spin out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just ask anything about snow. We have plenty of it.
Lets say about 50 to 100 cm 20" to 40" every winter.

I have had 2003, 2005 and now 2006 RAVs all diesel.

I have droven in rocks, sand, mud and snow. But most important thing in snow is studded tryres. If you want to drive 20" or more snow.

I drove my last RAV4 in forest machine tracks where was 30" snow.

Few times there is need to reverce and take some speed to get foward but you wont get sticked whit studded tryres.

Also you must be careful whit you clutch to not burn it, because there is no lower gear.

·
Registered
240 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
As long as the snow is not over your bumper, you should be ok! Snow tires are nice, but not necessary if you are a good foul weather driver :wink:
Honestly, the only people I've met who claim that all-seasons are "good enough" or "just be careful" are those who have never driven a car with modern day snow tires.

On the same note, I never understood the fascination for tires with at least a 40K, 60K, etc treadlife warranty. As a friend recently put it: A tire with a 60K mile warranty is NOT a tire that I'd even consider.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The warranty thing is a whole other subject. Start a post and I will shed light.

The winter thing is like this; Snow tires are better for snow.....period. There's no disputing it, there's what about this all season or that all season compared to that winter, there's no question.....a purpose designed tire will do better for the situation it was designed for.

Would you say that an all season tire is ok to use it the mud "if you are a good foul weather driver? No. You'll get stuck and loose control in the mud with a tire not designed for it.

Same goes for all season. A tire is "All season rated" because tire manufactures cannot depend on people to remove the "Summer" tires in the fall. They don't want law suits so they make a compromise tire which is an "all season". In other industries items like this would just be called "General Purpose". If you have a specific job for a tire to do (ie: racing, mudding, snow driving) you buy a tire that is designed for that use. Would you race with an "all season?" Not me.

You want safe, you want traction, you want control.....get yourself a good set of winter tires and you'll wonder why you haven't before.

Later. M.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is what I had to say about the new RAV on a test drive this winter. We had snow and I put it through its paces. This is from another post:http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2686&highlight=

Quote from me:
I did take it off-road wife my wife and two kids with me. They go with us quite a bit on these types of outtings and they liked it too. I went to a place with still some snow on the ground and first climbed a hill maybe 30 degrees or so and it had about 8" of snow on it. Was about 150 feet long and climbed it without the 4x4 lock on, no problems. Messed around for a while with some bumps and more snow then tried the 4x4 lock.

We decended the hill and about halfway down I stopped quickly and threw it in reverse. Mashed the throttle and it went back up without any trouble at all. The big difference using this feature is that there is no hesitation as there is without it on. There seems to be a hesitation before the back wheels grab as the front wheels spin quite a bit before you get rear traction. '01 wins for me off-road hands down mostly due to the predictability of the old system. You know its there and don't have to anticipate the awd traction, hoping it will show up when you need it.

I tore up trail pretty good with only 12 miles on it. Didn't damage it but definetley put it through its paces. The V6 will have hill decent for off-road situations. That will be a good option.

So I did like it but I just prefer mine over the new. Personal choice. I does work well and I am waiting for one of you guys/gals to get brave enough to really get it dirty. Let us know how it works out for you.

Later. M.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought snow tires for my Mazda Protege5 for the first time this year. It didn't snow much, but they were well worth having a couple of times. They provide a large extra margin of safety, and I felt much more confident driving the car with them. With everyone so safety crazy these days, it's amazing such a simple upgrade is not more popular.

People email me often saying they need an AWD vehicle for safer handling in the snow. What should they get? I tell them to get winter tires for their existing vehicle. They don't believe this will make much of a difference. Sorry, but the tires make more difference than the car itself when driving on ice and snow.

Basically, people only want safety as long as they think it's free.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I want to know where in Illinois did we get more than 8" this past winter??? We've been lucky the last couple of years!!! 8)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
In my option, a 4wd with all season tires will handle better in the snow than a rear wheel drive in snow tires. I am talking from experience.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It depends on what you mean by handling.

When accelerating, an AWD vehicle with all-seasons will be much less prone to fishtail and will generally feel more stable. But it won't have as much grip.

So, in terms of how fast you can safely go through a turn, or hit the brakes while turning (never a great idea), or simply stop, the rear-drive car with winter tires will be much better.

Safety is more a function of steady-speed handling and braking than accelerating.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The G Man said:
In my option, a 4wd with all season tires will handle better in the snow than a rear wheel drive in snow tires. I am talking from experience.
How about clarifying exactly which brand and model of all season tire you're talking about? All season tire qualities vary tremendously. Some are heavily oriented for summer/high performance driving. Others are oriented in giving better wet weather performance.

For example: I guarantee that if you compare the snow traction of the Michelin Pilot A/S on an AWD or 4WD compared to a rear driver with Bridgestone Blizzak WS, the rear driver will out accelerate and out brake the former.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mhgsx said:
The G Man said:
How about clarifying exactly which brand and model of all season tire you're talking about? All season tire qualities vary tremendously. Some are heavily oriented for summer/high performance driving. Others are oriented in giving better wet weather performance.
Very true. Many all-season tires don't deserve the label, while some might approach the capabilities of winter tires. Tirerack.com is a good source of both survey results and objective test results. The magazines from time to time also compare winter tires to all-seasons. The margin is never small.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mcjaco said:
I want to know where in Illinois did we get more than 8" this past winter??? We've been lucky the last couple of years!!! 8)

i live in the northwest suburbs called schaumburg. we had maybe more than 8" i remember it just like yesterday JAN 20 or 21st, 2006

boy, it was nasty out!!!! where in illinois do you live????

·
Registered
218 Posts
We're on the Northwest side of the city (Jefferson Park area). In fact, we're headed out to Woodfield in a few minutes!

Relatively, the winters have been mild the last few years in terms of snow. Don't you think?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you are 100% correct I remember when we use to get 12 to16" of snow 10 or more years ago....but every now and then we get blasted for a day or two only which is good..........i like woodfield mall but i try to stay away from it!!! lots of people

1 - 20 of 22 Posts