Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Folks! SORRY...this is new to me, but I have some fixes for these problems and posted them in the Faults and Fixes of the earlier model Rav 4....OOPS.... Just wanted to make sure that those who had this problem could finally have a QUIET RIDE...WHEW!
GOOD DAYS to ALL

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My RAV has both those problems. One dealer installed the kit for the rattle, but it didn't fix the squeak and the rattle still comes back at times, but not as bad as it was.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
ravski said:
Hello, Folks! SORRY...this is new to me, but I have some fixes for these problems and posted them in the Faults and Fixes of the earlier model RAV 4....OOPS
I can't see it. Am i blind? :? I don't think you posted the fixes at all. Could you please try again? :mrgreen:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SORRY for the confusion.....I'll post them here, too.
As far as the chirping sound from the lower outside of the windshield seal, I ran the red straw on the WD-40 can under the rubber seal, and sprayed a small amount all the way across.... then wiped it down along the rubber.... NO MORE CHIRPING sound.
The rattle ended up being a small box, that was mounted by one screw, UP and UNDER the steering wheel, that was tapping on a metal post. I bent it SLIGHTLY down and rotated it just a bit...NO MORE RATTLE.
HOPE this helps!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems the seal must just dry out, and get some dirt in there or something.....just guessing. I know that the blower @ the car wash, during the drying cycle,blowing on the windshield, would causes the same sound, so THAT is what led me to think it was the seal, and NOT the dash.Someone on this site mentioned silicone, but, that it was temporary. This seems to be a quick, easy, and LASTING solution.
hope it works for you, too!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true enough about the white grease....it was just easier to nudge the small straw on the WD-40 under the seal and spray it under there.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an '05, purchased 11/05, with 7,500 mi on it... This INFURIATING chirping has now frayed my last little nerve. One question: Is the above fix applied interior or exterior? I am doing it TONIGHT.

Anyone else experience random creaks and rattles up in the windshield "zone"??? Maybe because it's winter, but I seem to be hearing a lot of them lately.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is the plastic piece fitted outside the windshield (called the cowl). Remove it and apply some black silicon to the underside of the cowl. It is the cowl (grille - spelling??) that make the irritaing noise. If you look at the plastic, it is vert thin and made of hard plastic, hence it make the clicking noise when the car drive over rough and bumps on the road.

Basically you need to apply the silicon (preferably black) to teh grill to stop it moving). Sorry I haven't explained very well. But post here again if you're not clear.

I have fixed mine using this methos and it hasn't returned in 4 yrs.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chirping windshield

In response to inside or outside....What worked for me was OUTSIDE LOWER windshield. Just run the WD-40 straw under the rubber seal all the way across, and wipe it down. Quick and easy...No more chirping, and it's been MONTHS...YEAHHHHHHH!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks ravski! I never thought of that :D! That chirping of mine drives me nuts for the first 5 miles i drive my baby after it's been parked outside when i go visit my bf. It only happens when it's exposed to cold weather though. Lucky me i get to park in the garage at night.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chirping dash

The bird is dead... long live the bird..

2 minutes, WD40 and a straw... after 12 months of driving me mad, it is cured!!

Thank you!!! I was about to rip the dash out and use tear gas..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same principle as the "squeaky wheel", I guess.

Ravski, just how long is "months"? I imagine you just have to re-spray when the lube dries out after ??? months...

There are also a bunch of other fixes, but I don't think any of them are 100% efficient.

Try this (1) http://rav4world.com/tsb/NV004-01.pdf
or this (2) http://rav4world.com/tsb/NV005-01.pdf
or this (3) http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/cowl_fix.htm

This is all courtesy of Kelly's TSB page http://rav4world.com/tsb/tsb.html Check it out out! Great job, Kelly! :thumbs_up:

Cheers!

Philo

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2004 RAV 4 L developed the now famous squeak in the dashboard/windshield area during its first season change in 2004 - going from winter to spring. After trying to spray away the problem, I discovered that the plastic section under the hood that surrounds the windshield wipers and serves as a sort of protective lining -- I think they call it a cowl -- was actually what was squeaking. Pushing on it produced the same noise that I was hearing while I was driving. The service department at my Toyota dealership was able to stop the squeak permanently on the first try after I mentioned the problem area to them. All they had to do was make sure that the cowl was cushioned properly so that the plastic no longer came into direct contact with anything else. Two years now since "the fix" and not one more squeak.

·
Registered
132 Posts
carlaf7455 said:
....Two years now since "the fix" and not one more squeak.
Wow! I'm not sure, but I thik this is the first succesful dealer-solved dash-rattle problem :D

Had the same problem... dealer "fixed" it twice... but only lasted 2 weeks at the most, so I took matters into my own hands...

Who's your dealer, they should be commended and they should send their "methods" to every other dealer... wooh wooh :D

:cheers:

Philo

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer service has always been EXCELLENT ! Before getting my 2004 RAV 4 L, I had a 1998 RAV 4 L. I've never gone anywhere for service on either vehicle but Thompson Toyota in Edgewood, Maryland. Their service writers have been there for a lot of years, and they actually LISTEN when you describe a concern to them, even if you're a woman ! I've owned other makes of vehicles and dealt with other dealerships over the years, and I've never dealt with any company as good as Thompson when it comes to customer service. When I described the chirping noise in the area at the bottom of my windshield and told them I thought I knew where it was located, they didn't brush me off or do some factory recommended -- and usually ineffective -- noise kit "fix" like what I've seen described on many websites. They checked exactly what I asked them to check, and they did exactly what they needed to do to permanently fix the problem. Hope this info might be helpful to anyone who hasn't gotten the same satisfaction yet from their Toyota service provider. Happy RAVin' !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just came on to see if anyone had this same issue. The wife is out with the car today, but I'll be doing this just as soon as I can to see if I get the same results. I love this forum and I hate that bird in the dash!

·
Registered
100 Posts
:shrug:is it possible to take a foto of this cowl as I dont know where outside the windshield it is?
or perhaps specify exactly where?
thanks so much

1 - 20 of 20 Posts