Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into installing a GPS system into my 2003 Rav4 for a while, does anyone here had installed one into their car?

After a long research, I've finally found 3 DVD/GPS system that's worth trying:

Toyota Camry OEM navigation system,
Eclipse AVN5435 / AVN5495,
Pioneer AVIC-D1.

Does anyone know anything about these systems?

Also, I've measured the size of the sound system slot and comes out to be 8" by 4" and both Eclipse and Pioneer are 7" by 4" don't know if it would look wierd after installing one of these...

Can someone please give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just installed the Eclipse 5435 unit in my girlfriend's 04 Rav4. The head unit is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller than the opening in the dash. The installer fabricated a leather surround and it looks excellent.

I also ordered a special harness that allows the steering wheel volume controls to operate the unit. The software is the same as used in the 4Runner Nav system.

I debated between an Alpine flip out unit and the Eclipse. In my opinion, the Eclipse looks much better. I am not familiar with the Pioneer system.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks titan613... i'm just wondering would you have any pictures of the installed eclipse on your Rav 4?

also, where did you have your AVN5435 installed? and how much did they charge you? is he a authorized dealer? and where did they put the antenna?

Sorry for all these questions... but Thanks alot...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I purchased the 2005 Toyota Camry Navigation System from OEMvalue.com and I couldn't be more pleased with the result. The system was a virtual plug-and-play replacement for the stock AM/FM/CD radio and fits the dash perfectly. Other than that all I had to do was fabricate a bracket to mount the separate JBL amplifier behind the dash and splice into two wires for the speed sensor and reverse sensor.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend recently installed Pioneer AVIC-D1 in his scion tC, works freaking great, looks sweet as hell and fits without any probs. I don't know if it will fit into Rav4, but I think it should. You might wanna check out. But that monitor is sweet as hell, trust me, you won't be disapointed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank god

Hello, this is my first post. But ...man...am I glad to find in place.

I don't have a RAV4 (...yet), but I have been looking GPS install information on the web for quite some time. I am planning on buying a used RAV4 this year and GPS is a big thing in my consideration.

Most of the big on-line retailers (like Crutchfield.com) told me that none of the 2-din GPS will fit into the RAV4. But I just don't believe them. Every time I sit in a RAV4, I always have to tie myself down with seat belts so I don't reach my packet tools and start taking the audio console apart.

Can some one post a picture in here, so we all can take a look and leave my unsettle mind in peace. Deeply appreciated.

maxchlin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an Eclipse AVN-6000, double din unit in my 4.2. Love it. So much so, that in about an hour's time I'm taking my 2006 Hilux SR5 off to have its own 6000 installed.

AVN-6000 is basically equivalent to the AVN-6600. No issues fitting double din to the 4.2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts