Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to run 2 things off cig lighter...XM radio &radar detector :roll: Will use 12v adapter with 2 sockets...Will I blow the fuse???Are all adapters made the same :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had a three socket adapter in my 4.1, all in use (radar detector, cell phone, and some auxiliary lighting), and I never had a problem.

Becky

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Becky :D Just got my new Detector 8) But I also plan on getting XM soon :roll: Need to remove both at night :roll: Can the socket next to gear shift also be used :?: :?:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, the other socket can be used in addition or instead of the cig lighter.

I was thinking about my 4.1 arrangement and remembered that in addition to the 3-socket adapter, I also had a 2-socket adapter. The 2-socket plugged into the cig lighter socket (which was hidden), and in one of those 2 sockets the radar was plugged in, and in the other I had the 3-socket adapter plugged in. I had the cig lighter socket tucked inside the big plastic thing that surrounded the gear shift area, and I had the 3-socket adapter under the driver's seat, so no wires were visible except the radar detector wire running from under the plastic center piece to the dash. I also ran the cell phone plug from under the seat where it plugged in, through the plastic center piece, and put the phone plug up through a pop-out in the plastic center piece. It was all very neat and tidy.

I'm still trying to work out a neat and tidy way to do it in the 4.2 unfortunately, so all I have plugged in now is the radar.

Becky

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
radar

Becky....Where did you mount your radar Detector??I mounted above near Aux light....How bout you :?:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine only came with one of those suction cup things, and of course suction cups don't really hold that great. Because of that I have mine on the windshield at the bottom center. It doesn't quite touch the dash the way I have it (until a suction cup gives way and it falls onto the dash, LOL!). I also had it the same way in my 4.1.

Other than the suction cups being a bit wimpy, it seems to work pretty well. I haven't been caught in the four years I've had it! :D

Becky

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
radar

yes :D I had the same thing happen to me..So what I did was use velcro and mount above by the aux light and garage opener..The concern for me was that I have a tint line on the top of window..Would it mess with signal :?: :?: Oh yes...It is upside down....It.s ok...As lomg as I hear the warning :lol: My detector must have sight of front and rear ....It seems ok...My radar d. needed an extenstion cord and I used a tel cord :lol: Just have to run the wire hidden :lol: My wife said "What the hell is That"I told her it's my way of speaking to Mars...She said :lol: Can you do that :lol: :lol: My radar D is a good one :lol: :lol: Love to play Cat and Mouse :lol: :lol: thanks alot!

·
Registered
875 Posts
postman said:
Would like to run 2 things off cig lighter...XM radio &radar detector :roll: Will use 12v adapter with 2 sockets...Will I blow the fuse???Are all adapters made the same :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hhahhah! I got a single cigarette lighter socket splitting into.....6 - yes 6 different plugs. Yeah, i'm practically insane and my rav4 knows it b/c it refuses to light up the temperature thingamagig to full brightness. everything else in the car that normally lights up all the way suffers from my 6 plugs. But i'm liking my crazy light mods. No fuses messed up so far.

Fuses dont' cost that much so it's worth a try to do whatever you want. A single plug splitting into 2 would definitely work. That's why they make splitters. Yes, yes, i know someone will tell me that splitters weren't meant to be split again. 1 splitter turns to 3. one of those three turn into 4 equalling 6 total.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts