Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my cigarette lighter pulling out through the trim when I pull my cell phone cord out. I can't figure out what is supposed to keep the inner metal sleeve from pulling out like that. My cell phone charger fits very tight so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm thinking something like a tab or something must have broken off allowing the body to pull out like that. Anybody else have a problem like this? Do I need to go order a whole new one from the dealer? Thanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I haven't had the same problem, because all of the accessories I use fit pretty loose in the lighter socket. Are you talking about the socket in the dash next to the ash tray, or the one in the console next to the e-brake handle?

I hate buying replacement parts from the dealer, because they cost an arm and a leg, and often break just like the stock component. You should try garden variety adhesives from your local hardware store, especially Liquid Nails construction adhesive in small tube form. That stuff works great for all-purpose tasks, just as long as you don't get any on your fingers.

If you get the Liquid Nails, you should put a bead (like you would with caulk) around the backside where the socket fits through the panel. It hardens in an hour or so and it will take a lot of force to get it loose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea Jeff. The lighter socket I have is right under the cd player in the lower part of the center dash. My car is '97 so it must be different from yours. The socket has a round metal sleeve and that is pulling out. If you pull it out far enough the wire plug on the back pulls off. I'm thinking about going to the parts store and see if I can buy an aftermarket one and mount it in the same hole the stock one is now in. If that doesn't look like it'll work maybe I'll try smearing glue around the sleeve as I push it back into place. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts