Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2010 V6 Limited last month. Pretty impressed thus far. Sold my 2008 Honda Pilot to my sister to get something smaller.

Anyway, before handing over the keys to my sister, I pulled the Kenwood CarPlay headunit out and replaced the OEM one. Installed in the RAV4 and it's all good (although the Metra dash kit sucks monkey balls). Purchased one of those OEM switches that have USB input and charging. Would like to connect the charging port to the cigarette lighter. Lighter has two wires. One gray and one white with black stripe (if I remember correctly). Which one is ground and which one is 12v?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Welcome! I can't answer your specific question but I'm sure someone else will. I'd use a 12V test light or a meter to confirm it anyway. What I do want to mention it that the power at that 12V outlet goes off with the ignition so it isn't very useful for charging except on long drives.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There are two power sockets in the front area of the RAV. One is located on the lower area of the dashboard, and another is located inside the center armrest.

Since you mentioned gray and white/black wires, I assume you are talking about the dashboard mounted socket. The gray wire is connected to the 15A CIG fuse, and the black/white wire is ground.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Picked up a 2010 V6 Limited last month. Pretty impressed thus far. Sold my 2008 Honda Pilot to my sister to get something smaller.

Anyway, before handing over the keys to my sister, I pulled the Kenwood CarPlay headunit out and replaced the OEM one. Installed in the RAV4 and it's all good (although the Metra dash kit sucks monkey balls).
I've heard the Scosche dash kits are better quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I went by Amazon reviews for the Metra and they were generally good. I guess some people have lower standards than I. :wink

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dash kits for the rav are some of the most expensive kits i have seen.
Regarding the cig lighter, i spliced the power off the constant power off my deck and haven't had a problem (but i swapped the cig plug for a dual usb)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts