Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was wondering how much better the 2AR-FE engine would sound in the RAV4(2013-2015) without the muffler. I've been considering it while at the same time a cold air intake. Has anyone does any of these mods? If so I would be happy to hear your experience on it!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a feeling it would sound like a loud obnoxious lawn mower. It would also probably run poorly and maybe lose horsepower.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think you would improve anything by removing the muffler on a low horsepower 4 cylinder. Just my thoughts.
Doesn't the RAV already have a modified type cold air intake?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
This might seem counter-intuitive but all you would do is entirely mess up the engine's controls, interfere with the ECU parameters, throw codes, slow it down and attract cops to the annoying pipsqueak exhaust noise. Oh, if you have a warranty, you can kiss it goodbye.

See, Toyota goes through a lot of engineering to get as much performance from the little 4-banger as it can. The exhaust is not terribly restricted and it actually works with the ECU to get maximum scavenging. The resonator works for you, not against.

But do what you wish and tell us how it works for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
All you would get would be loud....oh, and a siren behind you with flashing lights.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had an 87 mustang 4 cyl that the muffler fell off of. With the exception of setting off all the car alarms in underground parkades there was no benefit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
To make an exhaust sound better, you need a performance muffler, not a muffler delete.

About 40 years ago I owned a 1967 Chevy Nova with a 194ci straight six engine (it is NOT a motor). I put a Walker Continental glass pack on it and couldn't wait to put the stock muffler back on.

As Ndnerb said, it did sound like a lawnmower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts