Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

We'll had our RAV4 Limited since October. Happy with almost everything. Just back from driving to Lake Tahoe up and down a snowy 50...no problem at all. Comfortable, functional, and highway mileage as advertised.

However...city mileage EXTREMELY disappointing. In San Francisco so there are hills, and granted its been wet...but averaging about 23, which is disappointing to say the least.

Anybody with similar experience? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I drive my R4H trying to keep the needle in the "eco" and "charge" zone as much as possible. I noticed fuel economy dives when it's in the "power" zone as the ICE has to work hard. Hard to speculate on why your mileage is low as I don't know your driving habits, if the engine is broken in and other factors (car loaded with cargo and passengers, tire pressure, average speed in the city etc). I would check your habits before bringing it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Hills and short drives will kill fuel economy, cold weather doesn't help either, leave the heater off as much as you can, it's surprising how much that alone will help since during warm up the ICE will run just for cabin heat if you have the heat on. Learning to drive a hybrid for best economy will help as will increasing tire pressure. I don't drive much in the winter, just short errand drives for the most part, all city/suburban, using the tips I mentioned I'm at about 27mpg on this tank so far, I don't have as many hills as you do in SF though.

Hybrid Driving Tips: Maximize MPG, Minimize Cost

·
Registered
449 Posts
If OP's ICE is not running, he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: JoeBobsFineFoods

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Comments all appreciated. I should have added previously owned a Prius and got 42+ in the city, so not completely unfamiliar.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Prius 4, her fuel economy was 36mpg during the cold weather we had, it's up to 39mpg now that it's warmed up a bit, During the summer it runs 48mpg around town, highway she gets 50-52mpg regularly, she doesn't do any hypermiling tricks, just drives conservatively.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Lots of hills here in the mountains too. I do not think there is anything wrong with your car. It really depends on your driving style, temperature, and length of the trip. My MPG starts out in the mornings very similar to yours. It is cold here and the car has to warm up. I do not see the MPG start to go up until after I have traveled a little below the first 10 miles of my commute. After 15 miles, its averaging high 20's to low 30's depending on the temp outside. I need heat so that is on mostly. I did try driving without heat and I bundled up to see how much MPG I would get. I got 36.2 without using heat and 33.7 with heat. I have elected to drive with heat:serious

Short commutes in hilly areas is not going to get you great MPG's. Your car has to power up those hills and as long as you are in the power zone, your ICE will be running. If you ever go on a long trip, you will definitely see the MPG difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts