Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I realized what a big difference it makes when you start to use the adaptive cruise control (ACC) whenever possible even in the city center.

Even if I tried to manually keep the gauge in the Eco zone and in the EV mode most of the time I was not able to achieve such good mileage as with adaptive cruise control.

Today I did several semi short trips 10-20 km all of them with ACC turned on most of the time. There were little hills, little downhills so it was not only narrow road. All the trips averaged 5-6 l/100km which is 39-47 MPG. Outside temperature was 4 C. Simply amazing.

Before that I averaged about 8-9 l/100km with manual gas control which is about 26-29 MPG. Sometimes even 10 l /100km ~ 23 MPG.

It seems the computer knows best how to achieve the most economical driving.

I will try to use the ACC in everyday driving to see if it really makes such difference or it was just one-time event...

Do you have similar experience?

Little caution: sometimes the ACC is quite tricky. Specially if the car in front of you was slowing down and then disappears from the radar and you are approaching e.g. a cross road where you need to slow down. It starts to accelerate instead...(to pre-defined speed)

Pedroo

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The ACC is no better at MPG than a driver who's skilled in driving a hybrid. Short trips will kill your MPG regardless. Probably you need to get better at throttle control and learn to "pulse-n-glide".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ACC is no better at MPG than a driver who's skilled in driving a hybrid. Short trips will kill your MPG regardless. Probably you need to get better at throttle control and learn to "pulse-n-glide".
You are right. It takes time to master the skill but so far I noticed I need to keep my eye on the gauge needle not to overshoot the "Eco" zone. I should be looking out at the road most of the time and not to observe the needle... then the ACC comes handy.

But sometimes it is fun to play with the needle...indeed.

Pedroo

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Less attention to the needle, and more attention to getting quickly up to speed gives better results. The more time you spend in EV mode the better your MPG.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think in the city a good driver will beat ACC. On the highway keeping it on ACC and not constantly passing cars will yield a good mileage.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts