Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Rav4 Hybrid with 8,000 miles. Currently driving in the city (Chicago). Recently my MPG has been really poor, which is surprising since in the winter it was surprisingly good.

Winter: 30-34mpg
Summer: 25-28mpg

I drive only in Eco Mode and rarely have the A/C on blast (usually set to 75 Auto). I was under the impression that during the summer my MPG should be better than the winter since the engine and everything stays warm. My battery is typically charged almost to full, and the EV light comes on often - but still have yet to see over 30mpg while in the city. This is over extended periods in the car - not just 5-minute drives. This 25-28MPG average is over the course of 35min -1hr long drives in the city.

The highway has been pretty good averaging around 32-34mpg (driving 50-70 mph)

Any suggestions on why the city MPG is below average? My 10,000 mile is coming up in the next few months, so will have it looked at either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also in Chicago and my mileage is MUCH better in the summer. I find that I'm driving in EV mode almost all the time. (I was never in EV mode during the winter.)

A 35 minute to an hour journey in the city is an awfully long drive for Chicago. Are you sitting in traffic with the air conditioner on? That might hurt your milage. Also, when you're on Lake Shore Drive, do you pump/release/pump/release on the gas pedal? That keeps me in EV or charging mode even when I'm going 45.

Let us know if the dealer says there is anything wrong. I'd certainly be interested.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
How long since you checked tire pressure? What do you have in the vehicle weight wise? Under inflated tires and extra weight will impact fuel economy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses!

As for being in Chicago, I don’t drive too much downtown, I’m located more north, near Wrigley. I can say that most of the time the EV seems to kick in but I don’t see a change in my MPG. I took the car for a long drive today and only got 28mpg and this was with a lot of EV time and coasting.

Regarding tire pressure it was last checked at 5,000 miles. It might be a good idea for me to check again.

It’s really annoying because during the winter I was getting much better which doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was curious about that. It’s been 80+ that last few days so I haven’t had it completely off. But I think I read on the forum that the a/c was powered by the 12v battery, and shouldn’t affect hybrid battery... or mpg. I don’t know a whole lot how that works... so maybe that is an issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the concern is, I’m not having any issues with the battery. I haven’t run into a problem with the battery not staying charged. It’s more that even with the battery working and the engine not running when EV kicks in - I’m still only seeing an average of 25-28 mpg in the city.

I’m hoping it’s only an issue with the computer... I have been using fuelly and my overall average between refuels is around 30mpg.

Again my highway is averaging 32-34, and my city is currently 25-28mpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: this was a short drive. 25mph in the city. Is this normal average? Full battery, AC was off (which was miserable lol).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased a 2018 rav4 Hybrid...Mpg in city is about 24... I only drive in city..like 10 miles.. Mpg seems very trashy.. checked tires, oil, and whatever bla bla bla... my kia rondo 2007 gets 32..go figure!!....can anybody tell me how to get the 30 mpg city...33 hyw stats that were/are publicized?
thanks for your help
john

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Try it for a whole tank of fuel.....
Yup, calculate fuel economy at refuel, divide miles driven by gallons used, that's the only accurate method of determining real fuel economy, doing this over many refuels will be the most accurate since it will average out between highs and lows, using the displayed fuel economy for short drives is useless.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Purchased a 2018 rav4 Hybrid...Mpg in city is about 24... I only drive in city..like 10 miles.. Mpg seems very trashy.. checked tires, oil, and whatever bla bla bla... my kia rondo 2007 gets 32..go figure!!....can anybody tell me how to get the 30 mpg city...33 hyw stats that were/are publicized?
thanks for your help
john
How far are you driving?

That is about my what my car gets in heavy city driving. For what it's worth my Yaris will get about 14MPG and the Rav4 will do about 22-24 under the same conditions.

For heavy driving I'm talking about 1 mile each way commute - average speed of about 10MPH overall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run till empty, refill with about 14.3 gallon, reset trip meter and drive. I go maybe at most 22-28 miles a day if needed.....I have been getting about 311-3320 miles to the tank...This doesnt feel like its good mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2016 that I bought used this summer. Got no reading or error message and the technician at the dealer did'nt find anything wrong with the car. After doing my own researches, I found that the handbrake was'nt properly set and it was making a small resistance on my drive train . Nothing to obvious, but it was showing in urban environnement mpg average .

Before I bought the car, the dealer did a complete brake job and he must have done something wrong with the e brake setting creating this problem. Since it was the Ebrake, it was'nt showing on the the ''braking/battery charging system''. I got it properly adjust and now I feel like a do own a hybrid that performs like a hybrid .
Hope It can help you.
Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run till empty, refill with about 14.3 gallon, reset trip meter and drive. I go maybe at most 22-28 miles a day if needed.....I have been getting about 311-3320 miles to the tank...This doesnt feel like its good mpg.
22-28 miles in how many drives? Lot of short drives is not going to give good fuel efficiency. If you drive that long in a single drive at speeds of around 30 - 45 MPH, you should get between 35 - 40 MPG. You may want to try at least a long drive at city speeds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts