Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Clank/Snap/Tick sound/noise - Shifting to Reverse

27K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Lucas123 
G
#1 ·
Hi,
just bought my 2008 Rav4 last Sunday. I heard this noise (snapping metal to metal) while shifting to reverse in my garage. I'm pretty sure it comes from the front left tire area. I disregarded it for a day, but while driving windows down i heard in on drive while releasing the break (in a stop sign and humps).

It really bothers me and I might take it to the dealer next week (they dont wanna take it in SAT or SUN) So i have to take a day or half off work!. Do you think this will be covered in my warranty? and if they need to keep it and test it. Will they pay for my rental?

#2 ·
I'm having a similar issue with my 06 base, 4 cyl model. I also can hear very clearly --when putting in Reverse -- something like a metal Click sound coming from the left front wheel area, I've searched the forum and haven't found this problem has appeared to other RAV4 members ... so I guess taking it into the dealer will provide more light in this issue; please post your findings ...

Things like this and rattling from several interior parts have caused my appreciation for the RAV4 to be diminished from a very high quality to a low-average quality vehicle... :?

G
#3 ·
i too have noticed this on my 08 base.

i also notice that when i shift into drive from park and start accelerating (slow or fast) i hear a rattle from the back like something is loose and moves around. i only hear it when i go from park to drive though. when i'm at a stop light and accelerate, i don't hear it at all.

#4 ·
I've had that metalic click in my front wheels when shifting into forward or reverse also. I have an 06 4-cyl with 30,000 miles. I took it to the dealer, he kept it over night and gave me a loaner to use. The next day he called and told me it was coming from the brakes. He said there was nothing wrong with them and said there was 90% pad left. Before I brought the car to the dealer I had removed the pads, cleaned and lubed the caliper slides. and made sure that the anti rattle clips were tight. The click did not go away and that is why I brought the car in to the dealer. Anyway when I got the car back from the dealer I never heard that noise again. I don't know what they did but the noise is gone.
John Smith

#6 ·
My Mazda6 does that - my RAV4 does not. In the Mazda, it's the front pads shifting slightly in the calipers, and they do it every time I go from Reverse to First, or the opposite. It's a nuisance but not a worry.

A little "click"or "tick" isn't something to panic about, but ask the dealer to take a look the next time you are there.

#8 ·
Marvin and Dusty,

I have had both issues on my '06 RAV w/V-6.

First the metallic "popping" or "clanking" noise when shifting the RAV into reverse with your foot on the brake. The problem is the left front spline. I was able to successfully demonstrate the issue, as it only happens when the RAV is started when cold or has been sitting for at least 20-30 minutes after driving. In my case, the RAV has to be parked on a level surface.
Solution: mechanic pulled the spline from the hub, cleaned off some rust, lubed it, and reinstalled the spline. Worked like a champ...for about 2-3 months. Now the clank is back. Still thinking about what to do next, but at least I know what the issue is.

Next, the rattling heard underneath the RAV. Yes, the heat shield over the exhaust pipe was loose on my RAV, and the same mechanic fixed it with a small nut/screw installation. I heard this noise especially when backing up an incline from a stop, usually in conjunction with the metallic "CLANK" above! Thought the front end was going to kick the bucket.

G
#10 ·
RAV4Don said:
kpadget said:
Marvin and Dusty,
I have had both issues on my '06 RAV w/V-6.
The problem is the left front spline. .
What is the spline? Are you referring to the hub or spindle? Can you further define?
the spline of the axle. the fix is to remove the axle from the hub and use a heavy lubricant on the splines. this is only for the heavy metallic clang and not for a brake pad shift which many people think it is. there is just a little clearence. vehicles that have this issue have made it 100k miles so its more of an annoyance on a new vehicle then anything.

G
#11 ·
I had the same exact problem on my 08 V6 Sport 4WD. I noticed it right after I got it home. I brought it in a couple of weeks later and at first the dealer said they could do nothing about it because they had to hear it a lot so they could isolate it. They had my RAV for about 2 hours and could not hear the sound. I then had the mechanic sit in the truck and I was able to shift to reverse and get it to make the clink sound about 10 times over about 15 minutes. They worked on it for about 3 more hours and then they told me it was ready. They said part of the axle or whatever had to be lubed up. It has been about 2 weeks now and I have not heard that sound at all. It was very disturbing to me as I thought it was some kind of transmission problem. I hope that sound never comes back.

I have also had the noisy IPOD issue where you hear the engine "whining" noise as it plays. The dealer is getting me a whole new radio and I hope that fixes it.

#12 ·
I thought the IPOD or Aux jack input issue was caused by a ground loop? I believe ground loops occur when a shielded cable is grounded on both sides.

Secondly post what was the cause of your noise in the drivetrain. It will help future users. Especially those who do not have warranty. This way they can attempt to make the fix themselves before the shell out some money to a mechanic.

#13 ·
johnmkirchner said:
I have also had the noisy IPOD issue where you hear the engine "whining" noise as it plays. The dealer is getting me a whole new radio and I hope that fixes it.
There is a TSB for this issue. And it does not include a new radio!

#14 ·
Sounds like 2 people confirmed that axle spline lubrication takes care of the problem. As a boat person, I know that splines require a special, tacky grease. I guess Toyota was not aware of this while putting RAV4 together.

G
#16 ·
Metallic Popping When Reversing

Well the same thing happened on my old Saturn. After a while the popping turning into my car jumping along with it. Then my car would not go into 3rd gear easily. Finally my transmission gave out completely. I took it to AAMCO when the jumping into reverse started and those jerks told me there was nothing wrong with my transmission. 2 months later, my transmission failed completely. I don't know if this answers your question because I know it's two different cars but the popping is so familiar that I would strongly suggest getting your transmission completely checked. It would have save me A LOT of money! Good luck!

#17 · (Edited)
Our Rav-4 is also making a loud clanking sound when shifting from park to reverse....probably doesn't help that the engine starts up at about 2k rpm and very slowly goes to normal. My wife & I don't have the patience to wait 3-4 minutes to get down to a normal idle. The Toyota service advisor is aware of our problem and will check it out next Tuesday morning after the R-4 sits overnight. As loud as our's is it's hard to believe that no damage has ocurred yet. They already have a copy of some of your posts which should direct them to the lt. front axle. Will report their findings.

#18 ·
Old thread, I know, but I didn't see this possibility mentioned.

What might be making the noise in some of these cases could be end clearance take-up of the brake pads in their calipers. You would only hear this when changing direction. For example if you pulled into your garage moving forward, the pads will be shifted fully forward in the calipers. Then when you shift to reverse to leave the next time, the calipers shift back in the calipers as they hold the car in place. Finally when you shift into drive, or the next time you apply the brakes, the pads again shift back forward again. This clearance probably only amounts to a few 10s of thousandths of an inch, but it's enough to notice.

You won't hear the noise again the rest of the day on any stops and starts that don't involve changing direction because the pads remain at the forward end of the clearance. It may not even be noticeable when changing directions later as the calipers and pads are now warm, causing expansion of all the parts and a reduction in the clearance.

My Lexus IS300 does this pretty loudly when cold first thing in the morning but it's much less noticeable (if at all) the rest of the day. There's no harm caused and probably no easy fix as the pads must have some end clearance to freely move in and out when the brakes are applied and released.

#19 ·
Don't think it's brakes since they imply letting it idle down solves the noise.
if it was mine and idle related I'd install a button on the dash that would let me start the engine in gear.

#21 ·
Took our R4 to the Toyota dealership May 11 for the clanking sound when shifting from park to reverse with a cold engine. They wrote it up as " R&R axle (left front) and applied grease to splines".

Since then the noise is gone. We do let the RPM drop from 2,000 down 1400 which takes about 30 seconds. I understand that no damage would probably occur from the clanking noise but to me it is well worth $60 we paid to have it done....so thanks to those of you who identified the problem I would never have guessed what it was....:)

#22 ·
'Snap' in Reverse Recorded

Is this the sound that people are hearing?

My 2012 Rav has been making a similar sound. I've posted the noise to YouTube, but I can't attach a link as I'm a new user to the forum.

If you go to You Tube and search, 'Toyota Rav4 Snap Sound While Reversing' you'll see my 9 second video. The 'snap' is heard at the 0:06 mark.

#31 ·
'Snap' in Reverse Recorded

Is this the sound that people are hearing?

My 2012 Rav has been making a similar sound. I've posted the noise to YouTube, but I can't attach a link as I'm a new user to the forum.

If you go to You Tube and search, 'Toyota Rav4 Snap Sound While Reversing' you'll see my 9 second video. The 'snap' is heard at the 0:06 mark.

I have a 2011 RAV4 base 2.5L 4x4 it made the same noise when shifting from R to D & D to R when stepping on the gas quickly, I found it was the left bearing in the hub Assembly wasn’t seated flat in the race, so the bearing wore out fast, (it was on a angle) It just wore out, a CV or greasing the spindle will not fix that. Greasing the spindle is what you do when installing a new bearing so it’s a great excuse For poor workmanship. Remove your hub Assembly & clean all the rust & install a new hub Assembly and use anti-seize on the cleaned bearing area & spindle. That’s what I found to be the problem. Toyota should know this but will not tell you because it’s a workmanship issue & should be a free fix so they tell you the truth they greased the spindle. The noise might come back if the bearing Race is damaged or not cleaned properly.

#23 ·
My 2012 FWD 4 cyl does it too. Only when its warm out, more than 15 C. I let the idle slow down then put it in reverse. Sounds like your hitting the goal post with a slap shot. Dealer says it's the brakes not the hub. I haven't let them touch the brakes, did them myself, same noise before and after. Just going to let it go for now.

#26 ·
Well, the brake shim kit didn't fix the problem. Called the dealership. This time, they want to keep the car for a coupla' days (they're gonna' float me a loaner...hope it's a Sequoia).

I'll mention the front splines needing grease (although I did mention it the last time, but they were convinced it's brake related).

I'll update the thread when I have new information.

#27 ·
subscribed. I'm hitting the end of my powertrain and extracare on March 6, so I've got a little time, in case this noise of mine isn't brake, but I want to monitor. thanks for posting folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.