Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: 2012 Rav4 4cyl

Preparing to do flush fill, dropping pan and cleaning. Did some research but want to clarify before going under.

1. For 4cyl, the transmission filter, is it a metal screen?
2. Do you guys recommend to replace this or just clean the filter?

I'm getting quoted at $55 for factory trans filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replace the filter. If you clean it and don't get everything out, there is a chance that some of the debris will then get into your transmission. When you remove the filter look up in the hole the pipe goes into to make sure the seal comes out with the filter. How do you plan on flushing it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the filter. If you clean it and don't get everything out, there is a chance that some of the debris will then get into your transmission. When you remove the filter look up in the hole the pipe goes into to make sure the seal comes out with the filter. How do you plan on flushing it?
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry meant to say drain and fill lol. I plan on dropping the pan, cleaning, filling, running, then final drain and fill. I will repeat after 20-25k miles.

I did a lot of research if anyone needs information as well I have a few. After I actually do it I might do a detail write up.

Have oem part #'s and torque specs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry meant to say drain and fill lol. I plan on dropping the pan, cleaning, filling, running, then final drain and fill. I will repeat after 20-25k miles.

I did a lot of research if anyone needs information as well I have a few. After I actually do it I might do a detail write up.

Have oem part #'s and torque specs.
I don't know if it is possible to flush the transmission by hooking into an external line, but after 2-3 drain and fills, after changing the filter once, the fluid will be mostly replenished with fresh fluid anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I don't know if it is possible to flush the transmission by hooking into an external line....
That is what the dealers do, they don't even drop the pan and change the filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts