Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 2004 Rav4 (50000 miles on the clock) has had some issues going on with the ABS sensors. Every now and then the brake peddle felt like the ABS kicked in for 1 cycle and then a short time later on the dash the tire pressure light starts blinking, the ABS light comes on and the traction light came on. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and they diagnosed it as having the front backing plates have rotted off and the ABS sensor was getting dirty. What does the ABS sensor look like and how do I clean this myself? The dealer quoted over $1000.00 to replace the backing plates and suggested I just clean the sensors myself when this happens and to save $1000.00 I think I can do this with some help figuring out how it's done. The service fellow did say I would need an air compressor so I am guessing they blew out the dirt?
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
There is a youtube on how to remove a ABS sensor. Clean with soap and water. If your backing plate has rotted though you need a new ones since that protects the ABS sensor from dirt etc. Taking off the back plate is not that simple since you need to remove the brakes, rotor, caliper and the hub. Parts for the backing plate is about $19 each for the front. (At toyotaonlineparts.com) (Aftermarket will be cheaper)

I think $1000 for installing backing plate for the front is gouging. It should be about 1.5 hours to do each side for a backing plate. You may want the pads and rotor replaced since those need to be removed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts