Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to clean install a Radar Detector? I just bought a spiffy new detector, but I absolutely despise seeing wires all over the dash. 8)

·
Registered
771 Posts
We can't legally use them where I live but if I had one I would mount it over head or out of sight from the fuzz. Over head If you had that space for a garage door opener you could do something around there and run all the wires down the A-Pilar. Out of sight would be for me under the ashtray in the open space there and run the wires behind the dash. We get life imprisonment up here for that so I don't have one. Good luck avoiding the cops.

·
Registered
242 Posts
RD

I can tell you just about everything about a RD....Which one do you have 8) I have a RX65 (Beltronics)..Use suction cups and have it sitting above rear mirror.....I ran cord along top of visor and along side of window....Under floor mats and connected with cig lighter connector.....I hope you bought a GOOD unit....... :?: :?: :?: Get back to me :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Marcutio said:
We can't legally use them where I live but if I had one I would mount it over head or out of sight from the fuzz. Over head If you had that space for a garage door opener you could do something around there and run all the wires down the A-Pilar. Out of sight would be for me under the ashtray in the open space there and run the wires behind the dash. We get life imprisonment up here for that so I don't have one. Good luck avoiding the cops.
:shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just kidding! They actually strap us to the front of their cop car and drive around untill we guess the correct speed they are going then let us go with a stern warning and a fine for $500. Kidding again but the fine is real. Its cheaper to pay the speeding ticket. :twisted:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, depends on what kind of unit you bought. I'm not sure about all units, but I have a Passport X50. I know that Passport sells a kit that allows you to run a wire, usually through the a-pillar and mount a remote in one of your spare blank switch panels. I have the kit, I just haven't installed it yet. I would think most something similar is available for most units. Hang on and I'll find a link to a buddy of mine on Spyderchat that posted pics of his...let me go find the link...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...can't find it. I've got some pics of mine when it was installed in my MR2. See below...

This is how mine was done. I've bought a new kit to install in the RAV4. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
rd

RX65 (Beltronics) owned by passport :roll: Our RD's are pretty much the same 8) Mine is above mirror and resting on it...Behind Tint line.....Mine has the new KU band(Coming to our local PD soon )right now it's in Europe....I'm going to give you a Coolllllll sight....Radardetector.net

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KU Band?? Hhmm..I need to look into that. Our local PD uses K-Band. Our Sherrif's Dept uses X-Band. And last, our friendly highway patrol/state troopers uses Instant-On Ka-Band.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RDs are illigal in Virginia and the state troopers use electronic devices (anti radar detectors) that detect operating RDs. These anti radar detectors work by seeing the RF signals that are normally emmitted from RDs when they are in an operating mode. Does anyone know of any RD brands that (1) detect all law enforcement radar signal bands and (2) does not emit RF that can be detected by law enforcement radars?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DHHerndon said:
RDs are illigal in Virginia and the state troopers use electronic devices (anti radar detectors) that detect operating RDs. These anti radar detectors work by seeing the RF signals that are normally emmitted from RDs when they are in an operating mode. Does anyone know of any RD brands that (1) detect all law enforcement radar signal bands and (2) does not emit RF that can be detected by law enforcement radars?
Maybe you should just slow down. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
rd

ku is used most in europe...But one co. here is doing testing using KU....Maybe your PD will never use it :roll: My set-up is almost like yours......But I rest it on mirror.....You can see my wires running down the side of window :D :D I run a reg tel wire to cig connection with smart wire...check out that web sight...It is run by Ex cop.....You will learn about KU for sure :lol: :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Reply's you guys. I purchased a Whistler 1793, it ranked well in Radar Ray's tests so I thought I'd give it a shot. For now its on a lil mat on the dashboard that doesnt allow it to move. The only thing is theres the coiled wire going from it to the cig lighter.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DHHerndon said:

Actually most radar detectors today use VG-2 detection that actually is able to find radar "detector detectors" and will turn itself, or at least the part of it that emits the radar signal until it doesnt detect the radar detector detectors again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"..Does anyone know of any RD brands that (1) detect all law enforcement radar signal bands and (2) does not emit RF that can be detected by law enforcement radars?.."

Phiton, Phyton or something like that, sorry I dont remember correctly, cuz I bought it, lets say 7-10 years ago, but never used while I was living in EU, cuz it works only with US standards.Try to check using search.It costs aprox. $350-450 or so.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This sounds like a big con to me. First radar, then radar detectors, then radar detector detectors, and now radar detector detector detectors? Do the cops get radar detector detector detector detectors next? Sounds like the same companies that make the radar guns, detectors, detector detectors and detector detector detectors are all in cahoots.

Perhaps I am radar technology naïve, but why should a radar detector emit any RF at all, unless it is actually trying to scramble the radar? Could it not be a passive unit that is there to just detect the RF?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Modderrhu said:
Perhaps I am radar technology naïve, but why should a radar detector emit any RF at all, unless it is actually trying to scramble the radar? Could it not be a passive unit that is there to just detect the RF?
On a side note Modderrhu - my grandfather had radar in has car back in the 50's. My grandmother would sit in the passenger seat and say "ry daar! ry daar!"

Sorry an oldie but could not resist it when I saw your flag on your avitar!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they are to be banned over here, so I must find a way to fit is so that it cannot be seen, I have the Belltronics euro550... working on that now... :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts