Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
can anyone give me instructions on how to remove & clean the injectors on my 95 rav ?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There was a video on Youtube and some webpages showing how to clean and check fuel injectors, once removed. It used a needle-less syringe (from Walmart's behind-the-counter pharmacy (I got one free from the nice lady), very volatile cleaner, and a 9V battery + switch to bench-operate the injectors (so _extremely_ flammable! Danger, Will Robinson!).

I did it for my truck, and after cleaning them one of the injectors was now obviously bad (previously intermittent). So I replaced all anyway. Should have skipped the dangerous cleaning and gone with my gut feel that one was bad. Rockauto.com for those new injectors.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
I just did this, but I had the engine out and manifold off so it was easy. Test the injectors first to make sure they are worth saving. You will need a multimeter, plenty of bandaids, and test each one for resistance.

CAUTION: You cannot connect or disconnect the wiring harness to the fuel injectors with the key in the on position or you may cause severe damage!!!

VEHICLE.............RESISTANCE........VOLTAGE
RAV4 1996—00 ... 13.4—14.2 ....... 12 Volts

I would recommend cleaning while in car, easy to do and just as effective. They recommend a certain cleaner, you can use that or one of several others on the market. See the following youtube video (obviously this is not a RAV4, it is much more difficult to get to the fuel rail on a RAV4 to do this):

You can usually rent the tools at an Advance Auto or several other parts stores. You will need an air compressor. To get to the fuel rail to do this is not fun, you can attach to the filter but you may need an adapter, if you go this route run the engine for several minutes to make sure you flush the cleaner out of your fuel lines. Or, you can remove the throttle body and gain much easier access and clean that bad boy too while you have it off. If you remove the throttle body don't forget you will need a new gasket.

A hint, take many digital photos of everything as you take it off. It makes it much easier to reinstall.

You really need to get a good service manual on how to do these things as well. I recommend www.repairsurge.com

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
... I would recommend cleaning while in car, easy to do and just as effective. They recommend a certain cleaner, ...
I haven't watched the linked-to video, etc., but shooting an agressive cleaner through while installed sounds brutal on the rings and cylinder walls. Maybe that "certain cleaner" is basically a detergent gasoline? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I haven't watched the linked-to video, etc., but shooting an agressive cleaner through while installed sounds brutal on the rings and cylinder walls. Maybe that "certain cleaner" is basically a detergent gasoline? :confused:
This is the same procedure used by dealers and garages to clean fuel injectors unless there is a serious problem with them. The mechanic whose link I provided is a real and top notch wrench turner. I've done the same on other vehicles I have owned diesel and gasoline with no apparent I'll effects.

Don't use carburetor or brake cleaner that could be a very serious mistake. Only use cleaners specifically designed to clean the injectors while installed. An easy way I usually do this is to wait till the tank is really low and add a can of injector cleaner. Run it but don't run it out of gas as it's rough on the fuel pump. Fill it up and it's good to go, that is my usual procedure about once every 6 months or so. Some cleaners are rough on flex hoses and plastic fuel tanks if too strong a mix is used and it is left concentrated too long. You must thin the mix before letting the vehicle sit too long even if you nearly ran it out of fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
That is an excellent price. It will cost you nearly that in cleaning supplies. To get to the injectors it will be fun, but if Austin is mechanically inclined it's mostly just a lot to take off to gain access. The advantage of some of that is while it's off inspect and clean everything. Move the VSV up to the firewall. inspect all those hard to reach vacuum hoses, power steering hoses, brake lines, and heater hoses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts