Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 rav4. When i wash the car the trim (black) never looks clean. What can i use on the trim that is safe?

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Works very well.
I think you mentioned at one point you detailed extensively. I am looking for the UV protection as the most important part. I have looked at TACSystem Seal (seems like US distribution is gone) and Car Pro Pearl.

Would you say that there is good protection/longevity to Poorboys? I usually apply when I wash which is at minimum monthly. Add says no streaking which a lot of products do.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
"Poorboy’s Trim Restorer contains a patented UV absorber that gives protection from harmful trim-destroying solar radiation. "

Yes to both questions. If the trim is very dry/gray it will take more than one application to bring it up to par. Frankly none are extremely durable, it will be a continuous task.

Black Wow will last longer but it is more expensive and a bit finicky to apply. With any product like these clean the surfaces first with an all purpose cleaner and let dry. BW is a bear to get off of paint or glass so mask the area off.

Once applied and given time to soak in buff the surfaces with a clean dry cloth. I prefer Poorboy's due to its ease of application.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
"Poorboy’s Trim Restorer contains a patented UV absorber that gives protection from harmful trim-destroying solar radiation. "

Yes to both questions. If the trim is very dry/gray it will take more than one application to bring it up to par. Frankly none are extremely durable, it will be a continuous task.

Black Wow will last longer but it is more expensive and a bit finicky to apply. With any product like these clean the surfaces first with an all purpose cleaner and let dry. BW is a bear to get off of paint or glass so mask the area off.

Once applied and given time to soak in buff the surfaces with a clean dry cloth. I prefer Poorboy's due to its ease of application.
I have been using 303 on it for now...but it doesn't even last a few weeks. Mine isn't gray or chalky at all. I just want to get ahead of it. If the Poor Boys lasts longer than a few weeks it will be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
If the Poor Boys lasts longer than a few weeks it will be worth it.
No guarantees. I like 303 for interior surfaces but never saw lasting results on exterior; not cheap either.

Several tests I have seen rate the "As seen on TV" product called Wipe New Trim Restorer as long lasting but I've not used it to verify. It's cheap enough to try if shipping is not involved.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
No guarantees. I like 303 for interior surfaces but never saw lasting results on exterior; not cheap either.

Several tests I have seen rate the "As seen on TV" product called Wipe New Trim Restorer as long lasting but I've not used it to verify. It's cheap enough to try if shipping is not involved.
I am wary of any seen on tv stuff. And there is no real guarantee on anything per say. But your quoted experience with 303 lines up with mine and Poorboys has a good rep and isnt a new fly by night. I am going to give it a try. If that doesnt work as expected Ill.try CarPro Pearl.

Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Before you buy anything take a look at this (lengthy) test of products by an Autogeek member. Poorboy's did not fare very well at all I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Before you buy anything take a look at this (lengthy) test of products by an Autogeek member. Poorboy's did not fare very well at all I'm sorry to say.

Thanks for that find. Really shows what to expect from each product. Looks like to me (anything short of the coatings) has a very very temporary impact.

I think I am going to read up further on Si02 from WG shown belows. I still dont have a direct answer on if it works well on body protection films or plastics. But skimming the thread seems to show plastics are ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I am going to read up further on Si02 from WG shown belows. I still dont have a direct answer on if it works well on body protection films or plastics. But skimming the thread seems to show plastics are ok.

I read through this and it doesn't mention trim

"Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating protection will last you up to one year and can be used on exterior surfaces such as,
  • Paint
  • Glass
  • Clear coated wheels
  • Headlights and taillights"
Too bad it isn't for trim

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Since its PPF approved I will be getting some. I will be testing on the mudflaps as that's the cheapest part to replace if it doesnt play nice.

Some reading for those inclined to do so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts