Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just went to a local car stereo store to get help with improving my (6 CD, NON- JBL) stereo. The store manager reccomended that I get something called "CleanSweep" that will allow me to keep the factory stereo, but will completely convert it to get great sound quality with out having to install a new head unit. Of course I will also need new speakers, equalizers, and subwoofer too.

In the end it will end up costing around $1500 including instalation ( CleanSweep was about $400 of it). Allot of money for something that I have never heard of. I googled "CleanSweep" and it sounds like a good thing, but thought I would check here to see if any one had any more info/help with this. ( or any other good ideas for improving my stereo)

Thank You.
Dawgboy

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like the clean sweep is a DSP, digital signal processor. It will certainlly give you a clearer and cleaner sound if thats what you are after. I know that the Mark Levison system on some Lexus have a DSP built in but they also have a very powerful amp which the non JBL system lacks. If loud music is what you are after, then you will need a amp, not clean sweep. If you change your speakers, you will almost immediately notice some improvement of your sound quality. Like I said before, it really depends on how much you want to improve your system and how much you want to spend. If you are on a tight budget, change the speakers and forget about the sub and amp and clean sweep. If you have a little more money than that, buy the amp. If you want to go all out, Change the speakers, add a sub, install a amp and get the clean sweep.

Have fun

·
Registered
91 Posts
the cleansweep takes your factory deck output or even factory amp output and removes all equalization, and turns it into a higher voltage, balanced, clean pre-amp output to go to an amp.

Its a clever device but its a little too new for me to buy one yet. I'd like to see a built in equilization capability with it. plus you lose the ability to use your factory volume knob, you have to install the cleansweep knob somewhere you can get to it.

rockford fosgate makes one now called the 3sixty. Its more flexible and there are a few manufacturers making them as well, just havent been released yet.

search the Carsound.com forum for OEM integration and the cleansweep. there was a 10 page thread on it that I kept up with, lots of pro and con posts regarding it and what else could be used. never hurts to see what all is out there for ya.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seeing you don't have the jbl you would be better off using a audio control lc6 or lc8. hell of a lot cheaper. around 150-200. From what I understand the big dollars on the cleansweep is to create a clean signal from a modified sound curve...ie jbl system. the stock signal shouldn't have the modified sound curve. so all you need to do is steel the 4 channel signal out the back, run it through some sort of signal convertor to rca then run that to amps. to save cash though it would be cheaper to swap the head unit. I tossed the idea of the clean sweep for awhile. down side (which you won't notice) is that when you run a modified freq curve through it, you lose volume control at the unit. you have to use a volume control on the clean sweep mounted somewhere. it also only outputs 4 channels. so you don't have a channel for independant sub control like you would with a lc8 (optional sub remote). just my 2 cents.

first swap the speakers and see if that makes you happy. if not go to after market amps. the best way would be to just get amps with hi level inputs. eliminate the converter device all together. much cheaper, if you don't know what the guy is talking about you wouldn't probably notice the difference in sound. and you would save a lot of cash.

audio control and jbl developed these items to really deal with high end units from teh factory. like jbl, mosoon, bose, etc. the system had a chip that changes the levels of the freqs as you raise the voume. ie turn the base down as you crank it up. this is to protect their cheap speakers. cheaper to throw in a computer chip than give nicer speakers.

sorry to ramble, good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts