Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find out the laws for Clear lights in NY state? I want to go with all clear (Tail Light, Side Marker, Front Marker). Also anyone know where can get the LED style red and amber lights? And anyone know if any white guages for 4.1 Rav4??? Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am not sure about the law regarding clear lights in the US but when it comes to LED bulbs I'm the man.

In the US you could try http://www.superbrightleds.com/ but the best site I have tried (when I lived in the UK and based in the UK), is http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

Shipping costs for the UK firm would be high though.

A few notes on the LED bulbs. Stop and tail LED replacements are fine. Almost as bright as conventional bulbs, last ages and light up quick.

For the high-level brake light I have failed to find an LED bulb that is suitably bright enough to light the diffuser.

On reversing lamps, LED bulbs are bright but useless at lighting things up. You will see far more in your rear view mirror reversing at night with conventional bulbs.

Amber indicator bulbs are the biggest problem. LEDs look great and are bright but unless you modify your flasher unit or use resistors, then your indicators will flash too fast as if a bulb has blown. Flasher units need adequate resistance in the circuit to operate properly and LED bulbs are just too low current to perform this function on their own.

For markers, LED bulbs work fine. Nice and bright and last for ages.

So, in summary, use LED bulbs for your stop and tail lights and side markers. Avoid using them for reversing lights, the high level brake light or as indicator bulbs.....or at least be prepared to do some tinkering if you want them here. But if you're thinking of clear light lenses you'll have little choice.

You might also consider replacing your interior lights that come on when you open the doors i.e. the dome light and the spot lights. Again, LED replacements will not be as bright as conventional bulbs but they will look cool and drain less current if you accidentally leave the doors open or like spending lots of time in the car at night, parked up somewhere with a few friends and a bottle of whisky!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on where to purchase them after I check that I CAN do it.

Anyone have any idea where I can find out the lighting laws, (What I should search by?)

Primarily interested in rear tail lights.
Also clear side markers (Where can I purchase them)

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, Still logged in under the Mrs, profile.

Last post was from me.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
here you go

I am from Brooklyn Ny I know that as long as your clear tail lights have a red LED and make sure that they are approved by DOT you are good to go. I have all lcear tail lights I drive to NY and Oh all the time and I never had any problems with Police due to my rear tali lights look at the lexus models they come with clear tail lights. I hope this answers your question

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Superbrightleds.com seems to have LED's that will fit for our tail/stop lights, but does anyone know how to tell if they are DOT certified? It says on the site that some may not be, but not which ones actually are. Anyone have an idea? Was looking at these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts