Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I have had my Clear aftermarket tails on my 96 RAV for over a year now, but now Id like to Paint the bottom half with a transparent candy apple red. Only problem is, I can't remove the lens I am pretty sure it is siliconed in. I saw something about baking them in an oven, but they are plastic, not metal... so i think that may be a bad idea. here are the Tails I have now http://www.matrixracing.com/BI3547Details.htm

If anyone has any bright ideas, please let me know!!!!!

Thanks, Zach

I

·
0 Posts
Thats a nice job there.i was thinking of doing the same to mine just to touch them up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yeah they can be baked, you jsut have to know how.

The easiest way to do it is to take some old tattered (yet thick) towel that you dont need anymore, and soak it in water for a couple of hours. Take it out, dont squeeze the excess water out, and fold it so that it covers the entire pan, and then put the tail lights on, making sure that they arent touching any metal anywhere. Then follow the rest of the directions.

If I remeber correctly, it was something like bake for 5 or 10 mins, only long enough to SOFTEN the silicone. Then take a small screwdriver and gently pry it open. Do your stuff, then seal it back close with a hefty amout of silicone, wiping off any excess. Let it cure, then TADA.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Mohit! You finally got around to spraying those clears huh? It wasnt that hard was it now... Later.

Just check out my album for a pic of it y'all. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts