Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 RAV4 4WD.
When the vehicle is driven slowly, a "click" sound is heard when the brake pedal is slightly pressed even though the brakes does not apply to the wheels,i.e. the speed is not reduced. However, no such sound is heard when driving fast. I think the brake is controlled by brake oil and the brake system is made up of hose and oil, no mechanical should be involved. Where does the "click" sound come from?
Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2006 RAV4 4WD.
When the vehicle is driven slowly, a "click" sound is heard when the brake pedal is slightly pressed even though the brakes does not apply to the wheels,i.e. the speed is not reduced. However, no such sound is heard when driving fast. I think the brake is controlled by brake oil and the brake system is made up of hose and oil, no mechanical should be involved. Where does the "click" sound come from?
Thanks.
The brake pads are free to move around a little bit on the pad cradles. There are little clips that are supposed to take up any play with inherent springiness, but they do wear and lose tension over time, especially if they are re-used (they should be replaced when brake pads are replaced). You may need new clips. They are pictured at the top of page 3 here: https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-TT-0132-11.pdf

Another cause of clicking can be the pads sticking a bit on the same clips mentioned above. Sometimes rust builds under the clips and expands them making the pads stick. I clear sign of this is uneven pad wear. The pads should be worn to the same thickness on each side and they should not have any taper from end to end.

You also might have loose pad cradle bolts letting the cradle rock around a bit.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
If the clicking sound is in the interior it may be the brake light switch, which on my RAV Toyota has set to activate even before there is any braking action.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts