Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Rav4 6 cylinder has been making a clicking sound. It sounds like it's coming from the engine by the passenge side. Was wondering can it be the water pump. The car is driving fine. I was trying to copy and paste a link with the noise but unable because I'm new to this site.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Welcome!
How many miles? Does the noise vary with rpm?
Could be the pump but they usually leak before they make noise.
One quick test is to dump or spray some water on the serpentine belt to rule it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
If it doesn't vary with rpm I don't know how it could have anything to do with the engine or its accessories. So it must do it with the engine off, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it doesn't vary with rpm I don't know how it could have anything to do with the engine or its accessories. So it must do it with the engine off, right?

No it does it only while the engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Sounds to me like a bearing is grinding and failing causing the serpentine belt to squeak. And it won't last long. The belt needs to be removed and each item it turns checked.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Are you certain that the noise doesn't change when engine RPMs increase and decrease then it should not be engine-related, as Dr. Dyno said. But listening to the recording the noises do sound like a bearing which is going bad as Dr. Dyno also said, and the squeaking sound in the video may be from the failing bearing itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From the video you posted it sounds like a bearing, like Dr. Dyno said. When my alternator was going out in my last vehicle it sounded like that (the bearing was dying). I second what Dyno said. Remove the belt and start to turn the components by hand to find the grind.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Are you certain that the noise doesn't change when engine RPMs increase and decrease then it should not be engine-related, as Dr. Dyno said.
Actually I'm sure it does but the OP may not know how to test that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right I don't know how to do that. I'm taking the car today to the dealer for muffler recall and while there I'll have them look at it.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
You are right I don't know how to do that. I'm taking the car today to the dealer for muffler recall and while there I'll have them look at it.
Okay, hope you make it. From the sounds on the video I'm afraid if you make another one you'll find out for sure what just broke! In fact I don't want to jinx you by listening to it again. :eek:

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Good to hear that the cause of the problem has been identified.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Well it was the water pump.
When the bearing in my water pump went out, it sounded like marbles rattling around in a tin can!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts