Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Rav4 hybrid limited. It has approximately 4100 miles on it. At around the 3,400 mile mark, I started hearing a strange clicking noise coming from the driver side door/pillar. I can’t even seem to place where the noise is coming from. I took it to one dealer. They lied and said they couldn’t replicate the noise (even though I heard it loud and clear driving to and from the dealership). I took it to another dealership who acknowledged the noise, thought it was coming from the trunk, and said they put extra “insulation” in an effort to fix it. It seemed to fix the issue momentarily, but it came back. Now it’s worse than before; particularly at high speeds (65+ mph). Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You might want to check out my thread about a rattle I fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to check out my thread about a rattle I fixed

Thanks I read your post. May I ask: did you listen to the YouTube videos? Did the sound on your car sound similar to the sound you hear in my YouTube videos? If so, I’m gonna do what you recommended. Thank you :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I did try it. It did not work. Same noise still exists. Although I do believe it is in fact coming from the seat belt device at the base of the B pillar. I’ve applied some synthetic spray to lubricate it and the noise has gone down a bit but you can absolutely still hear it. It’s so damn frustrating.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Yes I did try it. It did not work. Same noise still exists. Although I do believe it is in fact coming from the seat belt device at the base of the B pillar. I’ve applied some synthetic spray to lubricate it and the noise has gone down a bit but you can absolutely still hear it. It’s so damn frustrating.
There is a sliding plate inside that mechanism that can rattle. It's intended to slide when positioning the seat belt. You might have to take it off and add some felt tape to keep it from rattling plastic to plastic. There is a post on this forum where someone has pictures of their solution to this issue. I bought this tape for this purpose but have yet to need it:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the exact same noise just start happening on my 2021 RAV4 Limited. At first I thought my wife left a plastic water bottle or something in the rear driver's side passenger door but I soon realized that was not the case. I took it to the dealership and of course it made the noise the whole way there but then the tech could not replicate the noise and I even then went for a ride with the tech and it didn't happen then. He put in some 'extra insulation' to see if that helped, but go figure the next day both to and from work the rattle sound was worse. It definitely sounds like it is coming from within the B-Pillar. It is annoying because it happens 9/10 drives but then some times it won't like this morning, drove in and no noise at all. Was wondering if anyone has any true fix to this? I put the links to the videos I recorded of the noises.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure
8 Posts
There is a sliding plate inside that mechanism that can rattle. It's intended to slide when positioning the seat belt. You might have to take it off and add some felt tape to keep it from rattling plastic to plastic. There is a post on this forum where someone has pictures of their solution to this issue. I bought this tape for this purpose but have yet to need it:

I was going to suggest Moleskin form the pharmacy but this is cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Do you know where the post is that you mentioned (the one where someone has pictures to the issue) I took the trimming on the b pillar at both the top and the bottom and I couldn't really tell what exactly was rattling, thought I had secured any potential 'loose' areas and the issue still continues to happen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had the exact same noise just start happening on my 2021 RAV4 Limited. At first I thought my wife left a plastic water bottle or something in the rear driver's side passenger door but I soon realized that was not the case. I took it to the dealership and of course it made the noise the whole way there but then the tech could not replicate the noise and I even then went for a ride with the tech and it didn't happen then. He put in some 'extra insulation' to see if that helped, but go figure the next day both to and from work the rattle sound was worse. It definitely sounds like it is coming from within the B-Pillar. It is annoying because it happens 9/10 drives but then some times it won't like this morning, drove in and no noise at all. Was wondering if anyone has any true fix to this? I put the links to the videos I recorded of the noises.
Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what did you do to fix it?
I was absolutely convinced it was the seatbelt but I replaced the seatbelt with a brand new one and the sound remains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was absolutely convinced it was the seatbelt but I replaced the seatbelt with a brand new one and the sound remains.
Honestly, I didn't. I had so many case numbers with Toyota and the dealership to where it basically became a he said she said moment. They wanted me to replicate the sound on command at the dealership and obviously I can't do that. The noise was inconsistent but persistent. I showed them numerous videos of the noise because I would record it when I would hear it as I drove but that wasn't good enough for them. So I sold it, got a great price on it due to the chip shortage and got a brand new 2021 Mazda CX-5. Best decision I made, the cabin is silent compared to the RAV4, zero rattle, zero wind noise, zero road noise, feels as good as previous BMWs I have owned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The last I heard it though I felt as thought it was coming from the upper section of the b-pillar trim, around where you adjust the height for the seat belt. So not sure if it was a plastic or metal piece within that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In a few weeks we will have a new member joining complaining about a rattling sound from his just purchased used vehicle. Good luck with your new vehicle & enjoy it, happy trails.
I can’t tell if this was a slight at me? It wasn’t a ‘just purchased used vehicle’. I bought it as a brand new 2021 vehicle. Not used. And 4 months into owning it roughly 4K miles the issued began on it. I’m sorry but I don’t feel if I’m dropping $38k on a vehicle that the components should have that poor or quality and that much play and give after 4,000 miles of basic highway driving. And I saw no end to the situation and sorry I do not want to drive with a rattle next to my head for the next 4 years.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can’t tell if this was a slight at me? It wasn’t a ‘just purchased used vehicle’. I bought it as a brand new 2021 vehicle. Not used. And 4 months into owning it roughly 4K miles the issued began on it. I’m sorry but I don’t feel if I’m dropping $38k on a vehicle that the components should have that poor or quality and that much play and give after 4,000 miles of basic highway driving. And I saw no end to the situation and sorry I do not want to drive with a rattle next to my head for the next 4 years.
No slight at you I understand where you are coming from. Just making fun that next owner of your vehicle inherits you noise problem could end up on this forum that's all, my sense of humour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I didn't. I had so many case numbers with Toyota and the dealership to where it basically became a he said she said moment. They wanted me to replicate the sound on command at the dealership and obviously I can't do that. The noise was inconsistent but persistent. I showed them numerous videos of the noise because I would record it when I would hear it as I drove but that wasn't good enough for them. So I sold it, got a great price on it due to the chip shortage and got a brand new 2021 Mazda CX-5. Best decision I made, the cabin is silent compared to the RAV4, zero rattle, zero wind noise, zero road noise, feels as good as previous BMWs I have owned.
Let me ask you a strange question? Which model did you have? And more specifically, did you have a memory seat function that was fixed at any point prior to you hearing that sound?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts