Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi RAV Xperts,

The clicking sound has not been a major problem but everytime i accelerate a clicking sound that is so distinct can be heard from the engine. It seems that there is something loose and is ready to break down.

It is annoying and always makes me think that there is something wrong but the performance of my rav have not changed at all.

Has somebody experienced this? Has anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Please give light on this or i'll go mad :roll: :lol: :?:

M

·
0 Posts
I thought this sounded familiar. :) Here's something taken from http://www.cartoday.com/content/car_magazine/booklets/DIY_booklet/noise_tracing.asp

"Tappets make a clicking noise that increases in frequency as you raise the engine speed. If the valve clearances are set correctly and the noise persists, then further investigation by an expert is needed. Hydraulic tappets can be temperamental, making a noise that comes and goes, especially when you first start up. If the noise goes away as the engine warms up, it may be the wrong grade or even brand of oil, or it may be a small dirt particle in the oil. If the noise is present all the time, you should consult an expert."

B

·
0 Posts
If it is clicking only when under heavy load especially at slow revs, it could be pre-ignition or pinging. This can be caused by low octane fuel or incorrect ignition timing due to a knock sensor failure or something.

Brian

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can this be a DIY fix......toyota charges millions for a simple job.....(that's the only thing that is crappy about toyota..they charge too much)... :x

Or maybe I can purchase the official repair book from toyota the one the repair technicians use.. :idea: ..they sell it for less than $200.00 just give them a call. I think it is worth buying if you are mechanically capable than spending thousands for minor repairs and check-ups.....

Ok here is the number...1-800-622-2033 :roll:
There are 2 Volumes:

RAV4.1 RAV4.2
Vol 1 - Diagnostics $64.03 $88.00
Vol 2 - Engine, Body & Chasis $86.35 $88.00

Those are the prices the last time I know..... 8)

If ever any of you guys do purchase them, please let us know how they are......... :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
You have to know precisely what is wrong with something before you can fix it!

Brian

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's the reason why we have this forum to discuss about how to diagnose a problem and find solutions to fix it...... :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
pyxy_567 said:
that's the reason why we have this forum to discuss about how to diagnose a problem and find solutions to fix it...... :shock:
But the cause of the noise and what type of noise it is has not been determined yet, and yet it is being discussed whether it can be fixed outside of a Toyota workshop. Hopefully this forum will assist with this.

Brian

·
Registered
87 Posts
pyxy_567 said:
Hi RAV Xperts,

The clicking sound has not been a major problem but everytime i accelerate a clicking sound that is so distinct can be heard from the engine. It seems that there is something loose and is ready to break down.

It is annoying and always makes me think that there is something wrong but the performance of my RAV have not changed at all.

Has somebody experienced this? Has anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Please give light on this or i'll go mad :roll: :lol: :?:
This is an ancient thread, so you may have your answer by now.

Anyway, try a tank full of Sunoco Ultra 94 or Amoco Gold 93. If the ticking goes away, then your problem was spark knock.

Our 2K5 RAV is supposed to be OK with 87 octane regular, but it knocks pretty often. I started a blend of regular and premium to help get rid of spark knock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts