Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 RAV4 Limited Hybrid is only 3 weeks old, and something odd I've noticed is that when hitting the Auto button for the climate control, the A/C light is turning on. I think I've even felt slightly-cooler air coming from the vents, as if the A/C and heat are running at the same time.

This seems a bit odd to me, unless that's simply how it works. I can turn off the A/C, and the auto light will stay on, so it's not as if the auto climate shouldn't still be adjusting itself by overriding it.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I don't have an auto climate control (mine is manual) but it can run both the heat and the A/C at the same time. One reason is for dehumidifying, to help eliminate condensation from the interior of the windshield while still providing heat.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
My 2006 Limited Climate control works the same way. The AC button lights when I hit Auto so I have to hit AC to turn it off if it's not needed for dehumidification. I believe I've seen 4.3 posts saying the default can be set to not turn AC on using techstream.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
IN my 2008 Limited (with auto AC) the AC light is on all the time. This only means that the AC system is available should it be needed to bring the cabin to the desired temperature. The fact that the light is on does not mean the AC is actually operating. The 2008 model has switch to disable the AC from being automatically turned on.

It is normal however for the AC to be used during the winter. As far as I know, this will only happen when airflow is directed towards the windshield. The purpose is to dehumidify the air, which will help to defog the windshield.

In the 2008 model, air is directed towards the windshield immediately upon starting to prevent your breath from condensing on the cold glass. As the engine warms up the air will be directed to the floor vents, were natural convection will cause it to rise and heat the entire cabin.

Another benefit of occasional winter operation is to keep the lubricants circulating within the system which should increase the lifespan of the system and prevent seals from drying out.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When I want heat I push the FAN button to turn the fan on, then I adjust the temp controls in my '15 XLE. However, after a while the AUTO and AC lights will come on with the AC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is normal...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Great to see Bill the Cat is alive and well! 0:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's interesting to read this because my AC does not automatically light up when on Auto. I do, however, notice it changes the air flow to lower vents (vs if I had it on low heat, upper defrost or lower/upper blower). Quirky..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the way it operates. Just set the temperature and forget about it. I miss when I go drive my car after driving the wife's Rav4. If I ever get a new car again I think I will make sure it has this option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's interesting to read this because my AC does not automatically light up when on Auto. I do, however, notice it changes the air flow to lower vents (vs if I had it on low heat, upper defrost or lower/upper blower). Quirky..
I have the 2015 and my AC doesn't light up either when Auto is on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts