Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Rav4 xle. I have never had a vehicle with climate control.This might be a stupid question, but with this system on auto, do you let the AC button on all the time? I did a search on here ,but couldn't find that mentioned any where. Do you set the temps and let the ac on even for heat ? Thanks for any help.:nerd

·
Registered
67 Posts
A/C removes moisture from the air and tends to alleviate fogged windows. You may turn off the a/c in good conditions, however, with trickled down hybrid technology, they now use low compression a/c pumps that don't affect the performance or fuel economy as much as they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
A/C removes moisture from the air and tends to alleviate fogged windows. You may turn off the a/c in good conditions, however, with trickled down hybrid technology, they now use low compression a/c pumps that don't affect the performance or fuel economy as much as they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he's asking will it still cool the car with A/C off (example. temp set to 72, 80 degs outside and A/C button is NOT lit)? That is a question I have also, and don't know since it's 60 and under here now and I haven't tested A/C yet.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a 2015 Rav4 xle.......do you let the AC button on all the time? .:nerd
I don't have a 2015 model, but in previous years the, when the AC light was on, it didn't mean that the AC was running. The light only means the AC is available if the automatic system needs to provide additional cooling.

I guess the reason is that some people want to get a little better mileage so they don't want the AC to operate.

In the winter months you might be tempted to turn off the AC because you don't expect to use it. I would not recommend turning it off. The AC helps remove water vapor from the air (much of it from your breathe and wet footwear) and preventing it from creating fog on your cold windshield.

In most cars the AC will engage (even in winter) when the front window defroster is engaged. Allowing the AC to operate like this during the winter helps to keep the compressor lubricated, and it maintain the various seals in the system, helping to prevent leaks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he's asking will it still cool the car with A/C off (example. temp set to 72, 80 degs outside and A/C button is NOT lit)? That is a question I have also, and don't know since it's 60 and under here now and I haven't tested A/C yet.
Thanks for the reply. I know you have to have the ac on to cool. What I wanted to clear up was do you let the ac on even when you need heat ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a 2015 model, but in previous years the, when the AC light was on, it didn't mean that the AC was running. The light only means the AC is available if the automatic system needs to provide additional cooling.

I guess the reason is that some people want to get a little better mileage so they don't want the AC to operate.

In the winter months you might be tempted to turn off the AC because you don't expect to use it. I would not recommend turning it off. The AC helps remove water vapor from the air (much of it from your breathe and wet footwear) and preventing it from creating fog on your cold windshield.

In most cars the AC will engage (even in winter) when the front window defroster is engaged. Allowing the AC to operate like this during the winter helps to keep the compressor lubricated, and it maintain the various seals in the system, helping to prevent leaks
That is exactly what I thought is the correct reason to keep the ac on.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I know you have to have the ac on to cool. What I wanted to clear up was do you let the ac on even when you need heat ?
Interesting. My 2009 Venza, I left it off, and it still would cool and defrost the car when the temp required the A/C. The button just forced it on for times like when defrost or temp did not need to have it on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. My 2009 Venza, I left it off, and it still would cool and defrost the car when the temp required the A/C. The button just forced it on for times like when defrost or temp did not need to have it on.
Did the AC control light come on when you felt the AC come on or cool air come out and stay on , or was it just cool air from outside the car ? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Did the AC control light come on when you felt the AC come on or cool air come out and stay on , or was it just cool air from outside the car ? Thanks for your reply.
The light would not come on unless I pressed the switch which I never did. It was COLD air that cooled the car on a 90 deg day no problem, not just outside vent air.

It was the far right lower switch in this picture. And I NEVER needed to switch it on.

http://static.cdemo.com/65144941/1024/new-and-used-auto-used-2009-toyota-venza-4dr-wgn-v6-awd-1226980-central-dash-options-photo-Image.jpg

Also, I will be VERY surprised if this RAV does not work the very same way. I'll need to wait till warmer weather to prove it with my digital temp gun though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The light would not come on unless I pressed the switch which I never did. It was COLD air that cooled the car on a 90 deg day no problem, not just outside vent air.

It was the far right lower switch in this picture. And I NEVER needed to switch it on.

http://static.cdemo.com/65144941/1024/new-and-used-auto-used-2009-toyota-venza-4dr-wgn-v6-awd-1226980-central-dash-options-photo-Image.jpg

Also, I will be VERY surprised if this RAV does not work the very same way. I'll need to wait till warmer weather to prove it with my digital temp gun though.
What vehicle is in the pic. you supplied ? It sure looks different than my Rav4 !

·
Registered
428 Posts
What vehicle is in the pic. you supplied ? It sure looks different than my Rav4 !
I was explaining about my Venza. That is a 2009 Venza dash. And BTW, I now am going to officially disagree that the RAV4 needs to be left on. It was warm enough today after work to test. 64 degrees outside, cabin temp was around 75 (after sittin in sun for the day). I left the AC switch off just like the Venza, turned the temp to 68 inside, and used a digital temp gauge and checked at vent outlet and it was blowing 46 deg air into the cabin with AC light OFF. That is way colder than outside temp and therefore the AC was working exactly like my 2009 Venza. Leave it off IMO. It will defrost and run AC on the auto modes on it's own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The A/C compressor will not come on unless the A/C button is engaged. The outside air will cool the car depending on the outside air temp. If it is 80 degrees out side the incoming air will be the same or slightly less than 80. You need the compressor on to engage the air conditioner. The A/c can be left on in any weather as the compressor will only run as necessary.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Disagreee. You dont get 46 deg air on a 64 deg day without a/c compesser running. I could even bump temp up and down and watch idle change with ac button and light off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Disagreee. You dont get 46 deg air on a 64 deg day without a/c compesser running. I could even bump temp up and down and watch idle change with ac button and light off.
Now I am scratching my head. I was under the impression that the AC and the light on was the only way you would get 43 degree air coming out of the vents. But, then again, I didn't think you would get hot air with the AC on. The way I see it now, is the AC light can be on, but the compressor won't kick in until you have the temp setting low .

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Any defrost/defog mode enables the A/C compressor even tho the A/C light isn't on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So in reading this thread, I am trying to figure out why you would even need the A/C button with the dual zone climate control system? I'm guessing it is so you can manually override the climate control system? If you hit the A/C button, the A/C comes on regardless of temp selected. If you turn it off, it only comes on when necessary to maintain the temp you have selected. Does this seem right?

I tried to look this up in the manual, but the only thing I could find about the A/C button was where it said to turn on the A/C if the windows are fogging up really bad. This I really didn't understand because if you hit the defrost button, won't the A/C come on automatically anyway?

Does Toyota even understand how this system works? :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
It always works for me because I left my selection for air to combo floor / defrost so defrost will always access the AC compressor. If you wanted to run the AC with the air selection to floor only (possibly vent only also) then you may need to push the AC button.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am trying to figure out why you would even need the A/C button with the dual zone climate control system? I'm guessing it is so you can manually override the climate control system? If you hit the A/C button, the A/C comes on regardless of temp selected. If you turn it off, it only comes on when necessary to maintain the temp you have selected. Does this seem right?:)
Good question. According to owner KJPAT08, the 4.4 models seemed to have changed from the 4.3 models.
AFAIK , on the 4.3 models, the AC light did not mean the compressor was running, it simply meant that the AC compressor was available to run if the temperature setting required it to run. I can only guess that Toyota's logic was to allow the AC to be shut off for people who wanted to get optimal gas mileage.

The logic behind the 4.4 models having the option of running the compressor "whenever required" or "always on" escapes me.

I can see that some owners may want to save fuel by turning off the compressor (4.3 option) , but what is the value of turning the compressor on continuously (4.4 option).

EDIT;
It always works for me because I left my selection for air to combo floor / defrost so defrost will always access the AC compressor. If you wanted to run the AC with the air selection to floor only (possibly vent only also) then you may need to push the AC button.
Perhaps the 4.4 is not any different than the 4.3, and KJPAT08 only saw that behavior because he overrode the automatic setting by manually choosing the air delivery location.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So, wait. On a base model LE, should I be hitting the outside air switch while running the defroster/heater to prevent fogging on the inside of the glass?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts