Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that this display panel is a little bit cloudy? At times is is difficult to read the display especially at night. At first I thought there was a plastic prptective cover which needed to be peeled off. Nothing there. It is not as clear and bright as the radio display panel. Are they all suppose to be a little cloudy?

K

·
0 Posts
Is mine a little cloudy? - yes
Is it supposed to be cloudy? - doubt it
Is it a design flaw? - most likely

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I'd wager that it's an antiglare coating or effect of the screen's curved plastic cover. The LCD also has a rather narrow optimal viewing angle and even then is very low contrast.

Difficult to clearly view in daylight without craning around for a better look, and don't even try to read the display with polarized sunglasses on unless you're prepared to bob and tilt your head around even more than usual.

At the very least, the display needs a higher contrast LCD panel, and optimally, I'd like LEDs or a VFD in there. But that seems to be a tall order, since unlike Honda and several other manufacturers, Toyota seems to prefer LCD's.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ours is the same way. Try looking at it with polorized sunglasses. You can't see anything. To me it looks like some sort of plastic outgassing.. Ya know how plastic when new outgasses and leaves a film? Thats what it looks like to me. On the inside. If someone can figure how to remove th eglass Ill bet a lil polish will take care of it..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Inlets -

If you can get the lens off, and I'm assuming it's cloudy from the inside, try using some Stoner's Invisible Glass on it - works great on plastic lens surfaces without scratching, as well as windows and mirrors.

OC

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OC might you have a few tips to share on how one would take the lens off? Without destroying something. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
The G Man said:
karrock
SO whats a VFD? I know you are talking about varible frequency drives. :D
Definitely not one of those! :D

OK... VFD is a Vacuum Fluorescent Display... Essentially, it's a display technology where each of its individual elements can generate their own light, but it's quite different from LEDs. Very common in clocks, microwave ovens, appliances, audio/video component systems, cash registers and automobiles -- Lexus likes to use them a lot and the new Civic's speedometer and odometer is a good example.

The output is limited to a single color, usually a slightly bluish or greenish white -- other hues are created with colored panels over a white element. If you look at a VFD very close, you can see a grainy mesh or gridlike pattern.

Wikipedia or Google can probably explain it better than me... :?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This problem is really irratating me! Anyone know who I can write a letter to? I've got a lota time on my hands. Maybe we can get a different lens put on compliments of Toyota. The dealer said it's a design flaw and he can't do anything about it. :wall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts