Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to report a problem that I encounter with my A/C system. As most know the A/C systems get moisture from condensation and this must be drained to the exterior or one will end up with moldy carpet and wet feet.

Recently a passenger complained that she noticed water dripping on her feet. Later I noticed water soaked passenger carpet and some water near my gas pedal. Since it had been raining a lot lately I assumed that I had some leaking seals and proceeded to dismantle the cowling under the hood and below the windshield. I removed everything and cleaned and inspected all the seals and applied copious amounts of automotive silicone sealant in various areas. I even followed the procedures on the TSB for water leaks on some 06-07 RAVs, although it did not apply to my 08 RAV. I invested several hours doing this.

Days later I learned that this did not fix anything when leaking water reappeared. :doh:

Disappointed and puzzled I realized I was back to square one. I then decided to check the drain hose on the A/C system. It is located on the passenger side near the center under the dashboard. I pulled the carpeting away from the center dash and away from the top of the foot well to expose the A/C ‘box’. To access this area I had to nearly position myself upside down, holding a small flash light by my teeth and using my hands to inspect the area. I noticed a black hose exiting the A/C box and assumed this was the drain hose. I learn I was right when I removed the hose and got a surprise when about a pint of water sprayed me in the face. :egad:

Apparently the hose was clogged and water was being retained in the plenum or some area of the A/C. After cleaning myself off and the now even wetter carpet, I traced the black hose that came from the A/C to the center of the passenger floor board just above the upward curve. It was easily removed for inspection and servicing. I used my shop compressed air to blow through the hose. It was definitely plugged up. Unfortunately I never saw what rocketed out the other end. I then used a water hose to flush/clean the hose out.

Everything went back together easily and a week later it appears that I found and fixed the source of the water leak in the cabin.

If you get a similar water leak check the A/C drain hose first. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1 Posts
RAV4DON, thanks to your post, I identified my A/C water leak and fixed the issue. I was going to follow the TSB for the water leaks and stumbled on your post.
A critter found its way into the fan compartment and made a nest on the filter. Some of the filter paper and the critters nesting found its way into the A/C box and plugged the hole to the hose outlet. I was a bit discouraged when I found the hose clear and then on checking the A/C box outlet I found debris from the nest. Looks like its working OK, though I need to open the A/C box and clean it our thoroughly. Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clogged condensate tube

Same problem as above. AC condensation leaking into passenger compartment. The fix was easy even for a novice. Remove mats, pull down the passenger carpeting, remove cowling and voila, there it is the condensate drainage tube. Just pull out the tube and sure enough it was clogged with hair, spider web, who knows? Blew it out and replace all the pieces and vacuumed the carpet. Probably saved alot of money!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good post. Now I know where the hose is without having to look through the manual. These A/C drain hoses tend to be an issue in just about every car. They are either positioned badly (like my 97 Ram which points out in a flat position allowing the air to blow the water back inside the cab) or can easily get clogged. Either way they are easy to fix once you identify the problem. On my Ram I had to add a piece of heater hose to allow it to drain down properly. I wonder if the hose on the Rav is easily accessible through the engine compartment? In other words, could it be easier to simply blow some air through it, or suck out the debris with a shop vac without having to dismantle everything? I'm as lazy as the next guy when it comes to dismantling stuff I don't have to, and will gladly take a shortcut that works.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have thought that a picture of the bottom end of the tube could be helpful.

I could see making a measured quantity of an anti-mold liquid. Fill the evaporator from an extension of the tube upward, and let the mixture sit there for a while... Then drain.

They have kits for treating the coils, (Fridgi-Clean etc). Sometimes they have you drill a hole and fill it with a screw. Some inject foam from the bottom. But I think a measured load of liquid might be good if we knew what the appropriate volume would be.

I don't have a recipe for the liquid. Maybe bleach, detergent plus water. Just an idea.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't have a recipe for the liquid. Maybe bleach, detergent plus water. Just an idea.
Slow down there. Whoever tries this better be VERY sure that it cannot leak out. Even a diluted bleach will ruin the interior.

I have found that once you clear the tube, having the vents open all the time will eliminate any mold inside there. That's why most modern cars will default to open vents to prevent this problem. On my old Ram, and my 08 Rav, if you set it to recirculate, it will stay that way. This will not allow any outside air in. This is conducive to mold growth. On most newer cars (my 09 Mustang does this) the minute you turn off the ignition, it goes back to outside air to prevent mold build up. It works great. Once I started leaving the vents open on my Ram, I eliminated that musty smell in just a few weeks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. Same thing happened to my wife last night. So now i know what the problem is I'll have to check it out. BTW, what does the A/C box look like? Any pics? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. Same thing happened to my wife last night. So now i know what the problem is I'll have to check it out. BTW, what does the A/C box look like? Any pics? Thanks.
See the picture at the top of page AC-189 in your downloaded 2006 Service Manual or in http://share.qclt.com/丰田Toyota RAV4 Repair Manual/Air Conditioning/Air Conditioning Unit/0420058.pdf

The upper right in the picture is the blower which is under the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Problem fixed. Took all of 5 minutes. Drained out about 60 ounces of water from the A/C box. Blew out the hose and now it is working like it should. Thanks.

Reactions: MrJeepR44

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same problem here, the high humidity of the past few days exacerbated the problem. Had a lake in the passenger footwell. Had to pull the drain plug in the floor pan and let the excess drain out, I have the carpet pulled up and everything drying in the sun right now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, thanks for this. I had the exact same problem. Water started to seep from the A/C last night. Saw this post, took the glovebox out, a few of the kick panels, and tugged on the hose a little bit. I kept bending it in place until I noticed water starting to seep out at the end, then i pushed it through the floor board so the water keep drain into the parking lot, and boy did it drain...

That is the tube that gets clogged

That was what it looked like after a few minutes (had to run and get my camera)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Our 2010 drains just fine, but the drain hose dumps right onto the right control arm bushing, causing rust. Left side bushing looks like new.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
One test for a clogged hose is to check for water under your car when you park. If it isn't on the ground it's on the carpet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fan quit too!

Hello and thanks for all the info as this is what is happening to my Rav 4 as well. But at first the blower (fan) still worked despite the water dumping in the floor boards. When I first began looking into the problem I noticed a electrical plug was getting wet and thought that this would be why the fan quit too. Checked all the fuses and all seemed to be ok??? Dried the plug and connectors, still no fan? Maybe I'm not looking at the correct fuses? Fuse box under the hood, 30 and 40 amp fuse? Or is it one under the drivers side?? Any suggestions would be helpful since I cannot find anyone to work on this issue. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
desperate

Maybe I'm not looking at the right issue with the fan quitting? Anyone have an idea? Just thought it had to be due to all the water since it worked for a while right after the water started dumping on the floor boards, a/c still cools fine but now blower? And it's hitting in the 100's these past few days! Hot! Thanks, Murphy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to all who did the "legwork" for me on this issue -- the black rubber tube of concern was right where you guys said it would be, and the tube removal was followed immediately by several cups of water, just as anticipated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks to everyone here who helped me locate this same problem on my 07. Although I would like to add one additional step that I had to do. After removing the hose from the housing, no water came out. I pulled the hose completely out and blew through it, and it was clear and dry. Disheartened, I reassembled everything and came back inside. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to grab an old scrap of wire and try gently pushing it up into the housing where the hose attaches, and suddenly had the expected rush of water. Reattaching the hose allowed it to drain normally outside the cabin.

So it would seem my clog was inside the housing, rather than in the hose itself. Something to try if disconnecting your hose does not reveal the issue. Of course, not knowing what is immediately inside the housing, be gentle with your probing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Days later I learned that this did not fix anything when leaking water reappeared. :doh:

Disappointed and puzzled I realized I was back to square one. I then decided to check the drain hose on the A/C system. It is located on the passenger side near the center under the dashboard. I pulled the carpeting away from the center dash and away from the top of the foot well to expose the A/C ‘box’. To access this area I had to nearly position myself upside down, holding a small flash light by my teeth and using my hands to inspect the area. I noticed a black hose exiting the A/C box and assumed this was the drain hose. I learn I was right when I removed the hose and got a surprise when about a pint of water sprayed me in the face. :egad:

I did this the other day on a friend's 2007 when she had water dripping on the driver's side. In the interest of hopefully saving someone some stress on their back I believe you'll find it much easier to kneel on a pad outside the passenger door opening and access the hose that way instead of contorting yourself on your back. I'd never even looked at the car before and was in and out in maybe 10 minutes after clearing the spigot the hose attaches to, the hose itself was fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts