Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I did this the other day on a friend's 2007 when she had water dripping on the driver's side. In the interest of hopefully saving someone some stress on their back I believe you'll find it much easier to kneel on a pad outside the passenger door opening and access the hose that way instead of contorting yourself on your back. I'd never even looked at the car before and was in and out in maybe 10 minutes after clearing the spigot the hose attaches to, the hose itself was fine.
Or do what I do....find where the hose exits underneath the floor on the passenger side. Once you find it, you'll remember it for next time. It's a fairly large diameter so I happened to have a length of rubber hose that fit snuggly inside the drain hose. Then I just blow into it by mouth. I suppose some cars might need an air compressor, but mine never did.
I now just make this a routine job in the late spring, after all the tree stuff etc is done falling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or do what I do....find where the hose exits underneath the floor on the passenger side. Once you find it, you'll remember it for next time. It's a fairly large diameter so I happened to have a length of rubber hose that fit snuggly inside the drain hose. Then I just blow into it by mouth. I suppose some cars might need an air compressor, but mine never did.
I now just make this a routine job in the late spring, after all the tree stuff etc is done falling.

I think the problem with this particular vehicle is pine needles, I can already see the drain flow slowing down, those needles just aren't likely to make it thru the bends and down the hose. Is there some way of accessing the box the evaporator is in under the hood that would allow vacuuming it out?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I think the problem with this particular vehicle is pine needles, I can already see the drain flow slowing down, those needles just aren't likely to make it thru the bends and down the hose. Is there some way of accessing the box the evaporator is in under the hood that would allow vacuuming it out?
I'm not sure. Let's see if someone else on here knows more about it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Well, guess what? After telling everyone else how to clear the AC drain, I got in my RAV this afternoon and stepped on a soggy drivers side floor mat! I guess I forgot my own advice to blow out the drain from underneath once or twice a year!
Only the mat was wet, not the carpet, so 5 minutes later I blew out the hose and LOTS of water came running out!
Do as I say....not as I do!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wanted to bump this up and say thank you. I had bought the parts and done the TSB myself for the cowl a few years ago, but noticed water on the driver and passenger side Husky Liners. Dreading pulling everything apart for the cowl, I found this thread. Pulled back the carpet, pulled the drain plug in the floor, and checked the line itself, but that was clear. So, I poked a length of string trimmer line in the plastic outlet and voila - tons of water.

I'm going to include some pictures in case they help anyone in the future.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Wanted to bump this up and say thank you. I had bought the parts and done the TSB myself for the cowl a few years ago, but noticed water on the driver and passenger side Husky Liners. Dreading pulling everything apart for the cowl, I found this thread. Pulled back the carpet, pulled the drain plug in the floor, and checked the line itself, but that was clear. So, I poked a length of string trimmer line in the plastic outlet and voila - tons of water.

I'm going to include some pictures in case they help anyone in the future.

Thanks!
Poking the A/C tube under the car (passenger side) takes 30 seconds vs 5 minutes to remove the carpet and trim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fixed my Rav4 2013 with a clogged AC condensation hose. I had some water dripping out the hose, but it seemed slow. With the AC on, I looked under the glove box and saw a steady drip coming from the housing above the hose connection. So, I pulled the AC condensation hose off at that connection--after folding back the rug, removing sound-proofing and some panels, and trying to blow air through and suck it out of the condensation hose). I had towels handy thanks to suggestions here. The water gushed out of the plastic connection. I'd say it was about a pint. I had to blow compressed air into the hose to clear it. Bugs and crap clogged it. Now I am off to drink a pint of a different kind of fluid. Thanks to all for posting your ideas and help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This ca be avoided if regular maintenance is done.
I use a can that has a long and stiff hose, that can be pushed in the drain, to unclog it. I bought this one because my research told me it has no odor and indeed it has none (my widfe is allergic to chemicals):

When we bought my wife's Kia (used) had this smell and passenger carpet had wet underside... because the clogged drain hose. A wire pushed in or the can with the long hose will unclog and the smelly water will come rushing down. Pump the cleaning foam inside the evaporator core...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts