Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people out there are real happy with there cloth interior and do you think it's durable enough to last a long time or do you wish after you had it that you should of got leather instead....thanks fo the info.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Speaking as a 1998 RAV4 owner, I am just amazed at how well the cloth interior has kept its "like new" appearance. With the driver seat getting the most abuse, it still looks good as new.

Can't say the same with our genuine leather sofa that was bought about the same time. It has multiple cracks on the seating surface. Even my leather office chair has a hole in it. :cry: I guess leather has to be cared for more so than cloth. :roll: :?:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had my RAV4 LIMITED for few weeks now and I really like the cloth interior more than any I have ever owned. The cloth interior in my Titan felt like neoprene, looked cheap and stained easily. The interior in the RAV looks nice, feels nice and I couldn't tell you how it will hold up to dirt and stains, I haven't had it long enough. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a suggestion you may also protect the cloth from stain using 3M Scotch Guard. One can is good for 2 seats.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I actually like the cloth in the RAV but with any cloth, dog hair and other things tend to stick more. If the material is similar to Derek's 1998, then it should hold up nicely.

Derek said:
Can't say the same with our genuine leather sofa that was bought about the same time. It has multiple cracks on the seating surface. Even my leather office chair has a hole in it. :cry: I guess leather has to be cared for more so than cloth. :roll: :?:
It also depends on the type/quality and how the leather was processed. My mother's 1989 Mercedes' leather still looks great with some minor drying/fading but no cracks. She doesn't do anything to the leather. A friend at work just bought a used 1998 Acura and the leather looks like crap. Cracked/slight tears, very faded. The previous owner claims he used conditioner on the leather. Both parked in garages and outside.

I have a black (Italian) leather couch that's 17 years old without a single crack or fading, more supple than when new, and still looks just as great. The only care I've given it is an occassional wipe down with DI water. Have a 3 year old Lazyboy sectional leather that's already starting to fade and isn't nearly as durable as the other couch. Both cost about the same, too. I'm not saying "Italian" leather is better than other leather, just that the quality and process make the leather.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We decided on the cloth - changing from the leather we had on the Explorer that was replaced by the RAV. Wife likes the cloth since it does not get hot in summer and cold in winter. Also, I have a 5 year old Mazda with cloth that is holding up great.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I appear to be the exception. I hated the cloth when we bought our Limited and still do. It's scratchy and uncomfortable to me, and also not very attractive. I was hoping for something about the same level of comfort as the Honda CRV, the Civic, or our Camry LE (all of which are fine).

I much preferred the leather, but didn't want to pay the $3000 extra for the package that included leather... we already paid over 25K to get the RAV out the door, didn't want to pay more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the cloth in the base is different than the limited (not sure which the Sport has). So if you are commenting on cloth, pls note which. I wish the cloth in my base had a little more substance (thickness, velour) to it like my 02 camry xle, this is more like plain polyester fabric, but I expect it to wear/last better than leather which tends to tear at the seams after time (depending on care of course).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts