Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice to see the site going strong! Been away for some time.

Sadly, my 97 sat lonely for two years!!! I have just cleaned away the dust and debris. With a new battery and some oil it started up without a hesitation. However, I notice the check engine light is on. Just before it was parked the clutch was beginning to fail. Could the check engine light come on as a result of a failing clutch? I have changed the oil, had an engine flush and a complete cleaning of the fuel system. It is idling a little rough so I was planning on changing plugs.
But its that darn engine light is still on so that makes me wonder. Can the clutch cause that light to come on?

I will be having the clutch done soon but wonder if there is more going on after not running for so long.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I would think it's fuel/emissions related , especially if the car sat for some time...
Won't really know until you have it checked, code will have to be cleared as well...
I bought an OBDII scan tool, which can be handy... a little costly but worth the investment... :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, though it could be related to that. Thats why I had the fuel system cleaned - but the light stayed on so I was 'hoping' it was just the clutch.
Suppose you're right, i will have to have the codes checked. .

How much was your scanner DJ? Does it need to be Toyota specific? I have a Ford as well so I am wondering if it could cover both vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
privatedog said:
How much was your scanner DJ? Does it need to be Toyota specific? I have a Ford as well so I am wondering if it could cover both vehicles.
The one I bought was the Actron CP9135 it was about $115 or so... It is for OBDII vehicles... pretty universal.... worked on my RAV like a charm, also tried it on a friends Mazda and it worked too... :D it's made for 96 and newer vehicles though...

Here is a pic from their website...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering the OBD II scanner but decided to change the spark plugs first as I noticed some corrosion on the first two. I cleaned the whole thing out and then put in some NGK Iridiums and the difference is amazing. Idles great. Noticeable change in power and the check engine light is gone.

now just need to get that clutch done!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
You're lucky your code went away.... OBDII can be a real pain with it's sensitivity to unusual anomolies triggering the check engine light.... most codes need to be cleared, and most place will charge upwards of $25+ just to check and clear the code....
That's why I bought the scanner, I did some major aftermarket work and kept getting the code so I found it a worthwhile investment...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - sounds like a good investment. Especially if I can get one that covers my other vehicle too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts