Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Having a slight problem with my clutch so thought I would change the fluid for new. Problem is I do not know how to do it.
Where is the plug! to drain it?
Where do I refill it?
How do I bleed it?
any advice really appreciated.
regards

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
The clutch on a US 99 RAV4 uses brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir. Look on the sides of the brake fluid reservoir and see if there is a hose attachment (on US models it's on the left side of the reservoir as looking from the driver's seat) with a hose going down to the clutch reservoir. If your brake fluid is dark or hasn't been changed in years it's time to bleed the system (I usually change mine every two years). I picked up a Brake Bleeder & Vacuum Pump Test Tuner Tool Kit similar to this one at amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/HFS-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Tuner/dp/B00NP60URE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462911328&sr=8-1&keywords=brake+vacuum+bleeders.

You'll need this to bleed the clutch lines and it makes it so much easier to bleed the brakes. There may be ways to do it without the tool but it isn't worth the time and frustration.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just checked mine and there's a small reservoir on the bulkhead, next to the servo I'm guessing is for the clutch master.
The slave is behind the radiator, just above the engine mount.

As for bleeding, I think you just put a transparent tube on the bleed nipple and pump the clutch until there are no bubbles coming out, or until you think the old fluid has been replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts