Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a head's up for those with a 4.1 and a manual. Car was driving just fine a couple days ago. Went to the supermarket, came out, no start. Messed with all kinds of things under the hood, armed and disarmed the car multiple times, thinking it was the anti-theft disabling the starter.

I have NO idea why, but I remember the last time I vacuumed the car out, seeing a little button mounted on the firewall that gets pushed when the clutch is pushed all the way in. Looked underneath and found a little hole on the bracket of the clutch pedal, going over that button. Pressed the button while reaching up to start the car and it started!

Went to the dealer and actually needed two. One for the button that allows the car to start and another on the front side that pushes a button to allow the cruise to engage. FIXED MY CRUISE CONTROL TOO!!! Been without that since August and never thought to look into it, haha.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Interesting, I did not know Toyota used such a lockout, none of my RAV's or CR-V have a lockout that prevents starting with the clutch in, must be a liability driven US thing (Industry requirement?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I did not know Toyota used such a lockout, none of my RAV's or CR-V have a lockout that prevents starting with the clutch in, must be a liability driven US thing (Industry requirement?)
I didn't either, until I drove my best friend's 2013 Tacoma. His truck has a manual and I noticed a button on the dash that said something like "clutch override" and basically it lets you start the vehicle without pushing in the clutch. That is part of what made me think of looking under my dash. It's super annoying to have to sit in the RAV4 to start it to let it warm or cool down, versus just reaching in and turning the key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts