Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you with 4.2 Ravs have replaced the clutch?

I figure probably not many but I just wanted to get some feedback. My clutch is fine but I was thinking of changing to a beefier one like Centerforce, because a lot of my everyday driving is hard on the clutch (lots of hills).

From what I have heard it is a real pain in the a$$ since the whole engine must be dropped out.

When my friend changed the clutch in his WRX he had to drop the engine and everything, the whole job took him about 3 days in his garage, and he's a mechanic!

I miss the days of RWD cars when all you had to do is unbolt the transmission from the engine and drop it out to change the clutch.

O

·
0 Posts
If it aint broke, don't fix it. Your clutch will give you plenty of warning of wear. You can expect a lot of miles from your friction plate even on hilly terrain, just dont ride the clutch pedal, I get about 150,000 miles out of clutches on my vehicles.

D

·
0 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my 1987 Tercel and my 1989 Mazda MX-6.
Basically, you have to pull out the drive shaft on one side since it is FWD. We set the engine down on a jack but did not have to literally take out the engine. I t took about 8 hours each time due to other problems, but not the lowering of the engine. The tercel had 155,000 miles and the Mazda had 217,000 on the original clutch. I know that if you drive a clutch, you probably know how.
My two cents,qoute from my Grandpa, " Don't ride the clutch"
Basically, use it as little as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts