Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thrill in driving Toyota's Rav4 Hybrid is the gas mileage - Aug. 17, 2016

Let me be up front about something, I love the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid so in no way do I agree with all of Peter's review. In fact, I've learned to be very critical of expert reviews. He's bored with the car, but for me I don't need excitement, I need piece and my RAV4 is my Fortress of Solitude on my long commutes. He does make some good points though like:

Quote -->"The suspension so thoroughly absorbs every ripple that you are allowed to feel absolutely nothing."

Makes me wonder about people who think the ride is not soft:wink

Quote---> "Toyota (TM) engineers did a great job making this new Hybrid version of the Rav4."

I agree it was worth the wait:smile

Quote---> "In my own experience, the Rav4's efficiency was amazing. It sometimes exhibited average fuel economy figures in the upper 30s, even better than the EPA estimate. And, believe me, I wasn't trying. I hardly ever used the optional Eco mode and often, because it's my job, I jabbed hard at the gas pedal to see how this thing would do in a pinch."

It takes a while to get the feel of this car and get really good gas mileage, especially if it is your first hybrid in my case, but Peter still thinks the efficiency is amazing. I've seen quite a few reviews, but in this case I will have to disagree with him. I'm enjoying the car immensely:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny, we came from a Prius (two actually) and I find the performance and handling to be almost exciting in comparison.

And the ride and lower cabin noise and overall spaciousness and comfort is a welcome improvement.

My only complaint is that it doesn't get 50mpg. :)

But seriously, it is a great balance, or compromise if you will, for where we are in life and what we need.

So I guess my opinion is mostly the opposite of that guy.

We did our part for the planet for ten years with our Priuses, now we just do it in other ways and enjoy the ride.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
It's difficult to give him much credibility, when he starts out saying, you don't feel anything. Maybe he was driving a bulldozer, before this rest drive. The RAV4 Hybrid certainly has a better ride than my 2009 Prius, but it does not remove all road feel. It's the right balance for me. I have never driven a non-hybrid RAV, and wonder if the ride is much different.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fact of the matter is nothing in the segment, short of the luxury brands, is really exciting to drive. If you want "fun" the closest you can get in a small SUV is the Mazda CX-5. However, you won't get 35 mph....

·
Registered
57 Posts
*shrug* so he thinks it's not thrilling. i wasn't looking for thrilling, if i was i would have bought a sports car. i was looking for a suv with decent cargo space, good mpg and all-wheel drive to get me around the midwest winters. i found everything i needed in the rav4 and i'm happy. to each his own.

a co-worker just got a 2017 escape with their eco engine. it looks nice. i'll be curious to see what his mpg is when he breaks it in a bit. after owning a titanium focus for 4 years and having tons of issues i won't be owning a ford again any time soon.

besides, when i think of good auto reviews, cnn money isn't anywhere on that list. nor do i read car and driver for good stock tips!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Same here. I bought what I want and happy with it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
A review is just that, and it reflects the reviewer's own opinions and criteria. I would doubt that Toyota designed the hybrid RAV to be exciting, as for example in driving a sportier vehicle (obviously it's not a 'Vette), but instead to be as a utilitarian vehicle with some fuel-saving capabilities for more mainstream buyers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
............so he doesn't think that the RAV4 has the thrill or excitement of a mazda miata? Imagine that.
He has driven a lot of cars and done lots of reviews, but maybe he is too spoiled after driving the Tesla. I put this here so everyone can see for themselves that you can't go by an "expert's" review and you are better off deciding yourself and test driving yourself before buying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
a co-worker just got a 2017 escape with their eco engine. it looks nice. i'll be curious to see what his mpg is when he breaks it in a bit. after owning a titanium focus for 4 years and having tons of issues i won't be owning a ford again any time soon.
I was talking with my co-worker, he's only had the Escape for 3 weeks, but he says he's getting about 24MPG in his Titanium AWD with the 2.0L engine. :surprise I'm getting about 36, while the price of gas is low now I'm definitely happier with my choice of vehicle!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts