Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please l bought a 2013 XL edition from the US. I am a Nigerian National. I have change Bank 1 sensor 2 thrice. The last change the garage replaced the catalytic converter. The issue keeps coming back after awhile. The fuel in Nigeria has a high level of sulfur content. l get the sulfur smell also when l accelerate very hard. My gas mileage is poor compared to when l first got the vehicle. Don't want to keep spending money on 02 sensors.

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
I'd definitely change Bank 1 sensor 1. Altho it may not set a code it is responsible for the air/fuel ratio which affects the converter's effectiveness as measured by the downstream sensor #2.
That should cure the problem. If not I found a fix I used on a 2003 Honda Civic which was setting a P0420 even after the converter and both sensors were replaced. I know your codes are different but it might work.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0136 & P013A

Yes, Dr Dyno is spot on. Try changing out the air/fuel ratio sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) even though the other sensor is indicated by the code. It happened to me when a P0138 code indicated B1S2. Thanks to this thread, I went straight for the A/F sensor (B1S1) first try and it worked:

Maybe it will be same for your P0136 code. Let us know if it works.
So what you are saying is instead of changing B1S2 , I should change B1S1?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr Dyno , thanks, l will change only B1S1 and see the result or do l just change both B1S1 and B1S2

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So what you are saying is instead of changing B1S2 , I should change B1S1?
Yes. Do the B1S1 before anything else--you've already confirmed B1S2 is not the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts