Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All –
My Rav4 with 225,0000 miles started running very rough---along with a strong gas smell and a flashing engine light, which turned out to code P0304 (misfire on cylinder four). Good news is that upon further investigation, it turned out to be just the coil pack (when I removed the coil pack in question, the engine did not run any worse, but removing the other coil packs caused more misfires). The car is running fine now except for a little bit of a low rough idle when coming to stop, which may eventually get flushed out.
Question: The spark plugs were replaced about 40,000 miles ago. Is it necessary to replace the spark plug in the cylinder where the misfire occurred? As soon as I got the engine light, I parked the car pretty quickly until I could diag the issue.
FYI, I plan to replace the rest of the coil packs, since I understand it is recommended to replace the whole set if one goes bad.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I wouldn't replace any coils until they fail, which they may never do. (If it was an '06 V6 like mine most of them do.)
Spark plugs go 100,000 miles+ so no reason the change them at this point either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts