Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

anybody here familiar with P1604 Startability mulfunction code? i bought a bosch 1200 code reader this morning and out of curiousity found this code on my 4.4. she been purring like a kitten whenever i use her but surpsingly found a code under that purr. cleared the code and scanned again and did not see it again. wondering what may have caused it or should i be worried of it coz it already popped once? any thoughts that can help me is very much appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for both your replies. reading through the Tacoma forum, they talked about reflashing the computer? anybody have an idea how this is done? will this get rid of that garbage code? i'd like to believe that we can get just ignore garbage code. but i also believe that we can get rid of such and be informed of more significant issues. its like do you want to show off your car with a smear of dirt on it or a flawless shinning beauty on all sides. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
p1604 is common on all toyotas with the pushbutton start.

as long as u dont have any start problems this can be ignored.

99% of all cars that ive checked got that code... that includes the other models toyotas

·
Registered
14 Posts
p1604 is common on all toyotas with the pushbutton start.

as long as u dont have any start problems this can be ignored.

99% of all cars that ive checked got that code... that includes the other models toyotas
Agreed! As long as you're not having starting problems, clear the code, and drive on! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Would this cause the MAINT REQD light to come on? Or does MAINT REQD literally mean that maintenance (i.e. oil change) is required?
My RAV4 has about 37,000 miles on it and the MAINT REQD light just came on (although the sticker on my window says it's due at 39K). I took it to an auto parts store and the only code that came back was this "P1604 Startability Malfunction". I do not have the pushbutton start (it's a 2013, not sure if they even offered PBS back then).

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
The MAINT REQD light has nothing to do with any codes. It's simply triggered by mileage as explained in your owner's manual. Most likely the last person who changed your oil forgot to reset it.
As for the code I'd ignore it or reset it if you feel the need.

·
Registered
62 Posts
P1604 will set if you crank for a few seconds without starting and stop cranking, then retry to start. It just indicates a failure to start on the first try and is usually operator induced and not a real problem in 99% of cases.

If your car fails to start on the first attempt all the time every time then this code might be of use in tracking down the problem ( like fuel pressure drain back)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I took the car in to the dealer because it was about time for an oil change anyway and they said the same thing as some others on here have - basically the P1604 doesn't mean much and will clear itself out after a little while. Also the MAINT REQD light is only triggered by mileage as a previous poster stated. They did an oil change and reset the light.

Slightly off-topic but, they performed a full synthetic oil change which cost about $60 but is supposedly good for 10,000 miles (although the little sticker they put on my window says I'm due back in 5,000). Does everyone else do full synthetic oil changes? Are these necessary? The price seems reasonable, about as much as two regular oil changes if done every 5000 miles, or even a cost savings if you change your oil every 3000. Also how often should I rotate the tires? Just curious how others maintain their RAV4. Perhaps I should make this a new thread though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2013 Rav4 LTD. For oil changes I disregard the dealers sticker and recommendations and just follow the manufactures required oil change intervals in the service booklet. Try to get quite close to but not over 1000km more than the required interval. I put my own sticker inside the drivers door by the latch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Slightly off-topic but, they performed a full synthetic oil change which cost about $60 but is supposedly good for 10,000 miles (although the little sticker they put on my window says I'm due back in 5,000). Does everyone else do full synthetic oil changes? Are these necessary? The price seems reasonable, about as much as two regular oil changes if done every 5000 miles, or even a cost savings if you change your oil every 3000.
For what it's worth, my 2017 SE came from the factory with 0W20 full synthetic. The Toyota maintenance schedule specifies oil changes at 16,000km/10,000miles.

https://consumer.xtime.com/menuportal6/?variant=TCI&username=null&is_advisor=0&locale=en_CA&rendering_option=2&print_menu_report=/XTIME1/REPORTS/PrintMenu/PCN&make=TOYOTA&model=RAV4&year=2017&trim=UNKNOWN&engine_type=4&engine_size=2.5L&drive_type=AWD&transmission_type=Automatic&mileage=600&units=km&estimate=false&inframe=false

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hacking that link you provided, looks like mine suggests a synthetic oil change every 5,000 miles:
https://consumer.xtime.com/menuportal6/?variant=TCI&username=null&is_advisor=0&locale=en_SC&rendering_option=2&print_menu_report=/XTIME1/REPORTS/PrintMenu/PCN&make=TOYOTA&model=RAV4&year=2013&trim=XLE&engine_type=4&engine_size=2.5L&drive_type=AWD&transmission_type=Automatic&mileage=37000&units=miles&estimate=false&inframe=false
My question was more elemental than that, however. In general can you go longer between oil changes with full synthetic compared to conventional motor oil? Coming from a 2003 Accord I would change every 5,000 miles with regular oil. Doesn't make sense to me that this car would require oil changes at the same interval using superior oil.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ugh why is it so freaking hard to find the factory recommended service schedule from TOYOTA. Google just keeps showing me dealers.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
dryphi-

It is not telling you to change oil every 5,000 miles. That is
just a reminder to do other services like rotate tires. The recommended oil/filter change interval using Toyota Genuine synthetic 0W20 is 10,000 miles. Mobil makes the oil to Toyota's specifications. There are exceptions like towing etc. Check your owner's manual.

Standard oil can be used but that changes the intervals to 5,000 miles. 5,000 is also their recommended tire rotation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dryphi-

It is not telling you to change oil every 5,000 miles. That is
just a reminder to do other services like rotate tires. The recommended oil/filter change interval using Toyota Genuine synthetic 0W20 is 10,000 miles. Mobil makes the oil to Toyota's specifications. There are exceptions like towing etc. Check your owner's manual.

Standard oil can be used but that changes the intervals to 5,000 miles. 5,000 is also their recommended tire rotation.
Actually, it does say to change the oil every 5,000 miles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
RTexasF's reply pertained to US based service requirement, not Canadian, you'll find other differences as well, there's no brake service for US 4.4s, just inspections, but there is a brake service requirement at 24mos/32,000km IIRC for Canadian 4.4s, $300-$400 worth from previous posts.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/my-toyota/maintenance-menu

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
I was referring to the maintenance required light for USA models. As Quickdtoo pointed out the requirements are different depending on your country. Having said that I cannot even imagine changing fully synthetic oil every 5K miles unless it endured severe service such as towing in mountainous terrain.

Also is that a dealer document posted or official Toyota? Dealers make up their own it seems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts