Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this code using an old OBD2 after my CEL light came on and Auto LSD light started flashing. The code points to the intake manifold runner position sensor for the IMRV. I did a reset and the CEL did not return after a couple of start ups.
Anyone else ever get this code? Would this part or associated parts be covered under the warranty for emissions components ? (Canada)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lights are back on, dug out my owner's manual supplement to see which emission parts are covered over the 5 year 100,000 km power train warranty:
ECM, Catalytic converter and cover, Data link connector and CEL light bulbs! all to 96 months, 130,000 km, the rest of the emissions parts: 36 months 60,000 km.
So off to the dealer, I have to get the recall service (2) performed anyways. I can usually route out these types of problems in the driveway, but there isn't much info on this sensor out there. Toyota Parts Direct sells the actuator intake air control valve but don't know if this sensor is part of it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the vehicle back today, they could not find anything conclusively wrong that would cause the CEL.They stated that they tested voltages from the actuator/sensor and everything was in spec. They mentioned something like dirt or buildup could have prevented the damper from moving properly and that could have set off the CEL. They drove the car for 20 minutes while testing without issue. They also stated it could be an intermittent issue within the actuator, position sensor or even the ECM. I was charged for 1.5 hours for the diagnostic tests etc, I found this reasonable. The RAV only has 70,000 km and is subject to a lot of short trips followed by days of sitting around (like me) so this probably doesn't help. I am going to replace the original battery as I read in these forums that a weak battery can cause random CELs.
There seems to be two systems on the intake, the 'tumble down system' near the head and rail or acoustic system down lower that moves dampers to shorten or lengthen the intake tubes by changing the air pathways. I spoke with the tech. a few times on the phone during this process, he did not seem that familiar with this problem and was using a diagnostic chart to try to route out the problem. I hope this info helps anyone else that comes across this issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts