Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which OBD-II protocol is supported by my2006 rav4 sport.?? I want to buy a OBD- II code scanner, SO ILL NEED MY SPESIFIC PROTOCOL. THANKS.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Any decent OB-II reader can look at the common codes, regardless of the manufacturer's choice of protocol (there are ~5 different protocols). The software should tell you if it reads RAV-4, and it's almost guaranteed that it does.

You probably mean what hardware and software you need to connect to the OBD-II port. Right?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Any decent OB-II reader can look at the common codes, regardless of the manufacturer's choice of protocol (there are ~5 different protocols). The software should tell you if it reads RAV-4, and it's almost guaranteed that it does.
You probably mean what hardware and software you need to connect to the OBD-II port. Right?
What do you mean by protocols? I was always under the impression that OBD2 is, by law, the same across all manufacturers.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
What do you mean by protocols? I was always under the impression that OBD2 is, by law, the same across all manufacturers.:confused:
Protocol is a difficult word in this case. It means 'how the vehicle communicates through a standardized plug & standardized pin-outs'. To go any deeper into the subject is something an engineer might appreciate, not us.

To me it is like listening to my French Canadian family speaking to a Parisian. I don't know how the hell they can understand each other even though they are speaking French.

The outcome of an OBD2 device is what we care about, in other words the meaning of the codes. My wife's '99 Ford Taurus wagon sends OBD2 to the same tester I use for the 2011 RAV4, although not as many codes as the Toyota. How the reader works internally to talk to the ECU isn't important.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
As mentioned whatever internal protocols an OBDII (emissions) scanner uses are transparent to the user so any scanner will work on any OBDII vehicle.

It only becomes vehicle or manufacturer specific for an all-codes scanners which read many other codes such as transmission, EPS, body, SRS, A/C, etc. For instance my $300+ Autel will read a slew of codes on my RAV4 or Hondas but doesn't read anything but OBDII codes on my trucks. Heck, it even tries to read RWS (rear wheel steering) and several other systems my Accord doesn't have when I set it on Full Scan.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Protocol is a difficult word in this case. It means 'how the vehicle communicates through a standardized plug & standardized pin-outs'. To go any deeper into the subject is something an engineer might appreciate, not us.
To me it is like listening to my French Canadian family speaking to a Parisian. I don't know how the hell they can understand each other even though they are speaking French.
The outcome of an OBD2 device is what we care about, in other words the meaning of the codes. My wife's '99 Ford Taurus wagon sends OBD2 to the same tester I use for the 2011 RAV4, although not as many codes as the Toyota. How the reader works internally to talk to the ECU isn't important.
Aha....that makes sense. Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Which OBD-II protocol is supported by my2006 rav4 sport.?? I want to buy a OBD- II code scanner, SO ILL NEED MY SPESIFIC PROTOCOL. THANKS.
According to my C-Reader 8001 scanner, the RAV4 uses the CAN bus 11 bit standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts