Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a obd2 adaptor that I can plug my iPhone into that can monitor oil and transmission temps when towing. Has anyone used something like this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am more familiar with versions for Android OS, but...
Get an ELM327 OBD adapter that does Wifi. The bluetooth on Apple products is crippled in some manner so that the ELM327 OBD adapters in Bluetooth versions don't work well or not at all. I think there is a version of Torque for Apple, if not , you might have to research for an appropriate app.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bluetooth OBD dongles that work with iOS are a relatively recent development. Before that you had to use wifi dongles, which sucked because that meant killing your data connection. But that's no longer an issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
Okay, so I have a Galaxy S7 (favorite feature is wireless charging) and have decided to get a wireless OBDII code reader but when I look up "ELM327" on eBay I get many different ones, brands, colors, sizes. Which one is preferable?

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've had both a $5 ELM327 and a $70 ELM327 back when I used them with an Android tablet. I didn't notice any difference other than that the $70 one had an auto-sleep feature so it wouldn't drain the battery if left parked for an extended period. They're all just clones of each other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like Quickdtoo I have the BAFX OBDII...along with Torque Pro on my Android tablet. I purchased these when I thought my Scangauge was giving me unusual trans temps...it wasn't.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
ScangaugeII is nice, but at $160 it's not a good deal compared to what's available now for code reading anyway, I've had one for over 10yrs, I think a good OBDII Bluetooth adapter and an app(Torque or Torque Pro) is good enough for a lot less money.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have been using this one, the BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII, which I got for $20 on Amazon:

It uses Bluetooth to transmit directly to my phone. That particular unit is only for Andriod phones and Windows computers, but there are IOS versions from other makers available. I downloaded the free Torque Lite app from the Google Store for this device, and I like it so much that I am going to pay the $5 and get the "Torque Pro" version. The only downside is that the activity draws down my phone battery very quickly, but that's probably mostly due to my old phone.

In addition to all the usual uses of a code reader, was able to easily monitor oxygen sensor voltage using this reader from the passenger seat while someone else was driving, which is very convenient. You can make several screens on the app, and place virtual "dials" on the screens. It is very fun and very useful.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cool. I have an old Android phone laying around. Sounds like I should go for it!

Or maybe I could find a cheap used tablet even.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Coming to this thread late. Got a little board sitting around and a New 2017 Rav4 Lim. sitting in the garage and looking for a new toy to play with. found the OBD 2 scanners on Amazon and got to looking into what they could do and the apps would support them. Now the dealer set up the Rav4 for me as to all the options (turn / lane signal flashes and door locks, etc.) so didn't need that function (save a lot of $$ on that). I have Apple hardware (iPhone and iPad Pro) so was cautious about Bluetooth. The WiFi OBD2 connections were much cheaper. After reading the customers reviews I chose the Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner Adapter for iOS and Android, Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader Scan Tool for Year 1996 and Newer Vehicle in the US (less than $20) and then went to the App Store and downloaded "DashCommand" ($10) Setup was easy, just follow the instructions, and a little looking at their website (DashXL.net) found some great dashboards. (Im using the 4Rummer dash, just search for it) Don't have a PC anymore so can't download the editor and create my own. So for less than $30 I now have a new toy to play with.

PS: check if your OBD2 adaptor should be left plugged in. Some will drain your battery. The more expensive unites can be left plugged in with out this happening. Check!

KenK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coming to this thread late. Got a little board sitting around and a New 2017 Rav4 Lim. sitting in the garage and looking for a new toy to play with. found the OBD 2 scanners on Amazon and got to looking into what they could do and the apps would support them. Now the dealer set up the Rav4 for me as to all the options (turn / lane signal flashes and door locks, etc.) so didn't need that function (save a lot of $$ on that). I have Apple hardware (iPhone and iPad Pro) so was cautious about Bluetooth. The WiFi OBD2 connections were much cheaper. After reading the customers reviews I chose the Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner Adapter for iOS and Android, Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader Scan Tool for Year 1996 and Newer Vehicle in the US (less than $20) and then went to the App Store and downloaded "DashCommand" ($10) Setup was easy, just follow the instructions, and a little looking at their website (DashXL.net) found some great dashboards. (Im using the 4Rummer dash, just search for it) Don't have a PC anymore so can't download the editor and create my own. So for less than $30 I now have a new toy to play with.

PS: check if your OBD2 adaptor should be left plugged in. Some will drain your battery. The more expensive unites can be left plugged in with out this happening. Check!

KenK
Can you read the ATF temperature with your new device?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Remedies: don’t think so didn’t see that PID in the program. Might try contacting some of the MFG’s and asking them. Look at Amazon- ODB 2 (WiFi and Bluetooth)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts