Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get codes PO441 and PO455 showing up on an ODB reader.

When I cancelled the codes, and turn on the engine they don't return, however I know that they will eventually return. The gas tank is slightly under 1/2

Does it sound like a gas cap leak or ?

Any suggestions/thoughts?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you tighten the gas cap and the code comes back on the cheapest thing to try is get a new OEM cap. If that doesn't work then you probably have a problem with the EVAP stystem. Did you ever overfill the gas tank?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Interesting read! I just got this same code yesterday. I cleared it but was curious as to how exactly I could resolve it. Here is the fault I saved from my Torque app.
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android ================================================= Vehicle VIN: JTMRK4DV8A5093837 Vehicle Manufacturer: Toyota Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present Current Fault Log ------------------ P0441: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow Pending Fault Log ------------------ ECU reports no pending faults Historic Fault Log ------------------ ECU reports no historic faults Other discovered fault codes (possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific) ---------------------------------------------------- ECU reports no other fault codes logged End of report.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I must have my prefs set incorrectly because I didn't get reply notification.

Thanks @2011rav4

The cap was tightened and I put a light coat of engine oil on the rubber and it has not returned, so I am guessing it is the cap.

I went to get a new one at NAPA and they asked if I wanted a vented or non-vented.

What is the correct one?

This has been a real education as I found a bunch of YTs but the best was this one where the Justin Lee explains things very clearly.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sorry, I must have my prefs set incorrectly because I didn't get reply notification.

Thanks @2011rav4

The cap was tightened and I put a light coat of engine oil on the rubber and it has not returned, so I am guessing it is the cap.

I went to get a new one at NAPA and they asked if I wanted a vented or non-vented.

What is the correct one?

This has been a real education as I found a bunch of YTs but the best was this one where the Justin Lee explains things very clearly. How to test Toyota EGR System(VSV, Vacuum Modulator, EGR valve) - YouTube
DONT GET A AFTERMARKET GAS CAP.( they dont fit as well as oem) You didnt list your year or engine so the best thing to do is go to a TOYOTA dealer and order the original (oem) one for YOUR car there. It might cost you a few dollars more but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The OEM is about triple the price.
Its your choice. Is around $20 alot ? However if you get an aftermarket cap and the light comes back on your not going to know if its the cap or something else causing it. You could get the part number and look on ebay or amazon for a better price. or just leave it like it is if the light didn't come back on.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Its your choice. Is around $20 alot ? However if you get an aftermarket cap and the light comes back on your not going to know if its the cap or something else causing it. You could get the part number and look on ebay or amazon for a better price. or just leave it like it is if the light didn't come back on.
Why take a chance over a couple of bucks? Definitely OEM. Had this problem with wife's Camry several years ago and went to local Toyota dealer for a new one. Don't remember exactly but 20 bucks sounds about right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why take a chance over a couple of bucks? Definitely OEM. Had this problem with wife's Camry several years ago and went to local Toyota dealer for a new one. Don't remember exactly but 20 bucks sounds about right.
Napa 15.00 Toyota 43.00 CanD = 3 x

I hear ya man! I do prefer OEM, but this is too big a difference.

Years ago Toyota had a policy of ridiculous parts pricing and then at some point they went to very reasonable prices. That switch played a part in my turning into a big champion of their vehicles. Seems like they have reverted.

Napa will take a return I am sure if it is a problem, as they have in the past.

BTW it is unvented.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Napa 15.00 Toyota 43.00 CanD = 3 x

I hear ya man! I do prefer OEM, but this is too big a difference.

Years ago Toyota had a policy of ridiculous parts pricing and then at some point they went to very reasonable prices. That switch played a part in my turning into a big champion of their vehicles. Seems like they have reverted.

Napa will take a return I am sure if it is a problem, as they have in the past.

BTW it is unvented.
You asked for advice and was giving GOOD advice from several people here!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I'm in luck. The oil on the rubber seal has kept the warning lights out, so I know it is the gas cap and it is fine now. We'll see how long for. A drop of oil at the gas ump is a cheap fix.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The final test to see if everything is resolved is checking the Monitors with your OBDII reader. In particular see if the EVAP one has completed. If not give it a few days. I'm still waiting for it on my Accord after having to reset the codes after having the engine apart to replace valves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can the reader read the info that lies below the warnings? I know that there are more in depth engine monitors that can read the exact output of sensors, not just the warnings that tell you that the part has tripped over a preset max or minimum, but my understanding is these devices are expensive and intended for pros. Additionally they require training to understand.

My device for reading the codes is a iCar/Vgate wifi device, that I read through my "Engine Link" app on my iPod Touch. Had the app for years and am happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
You should have a I/M Readiness or Monitors mode which will tell you if the vehicle is ready for emissions testing and if not which systems haven't completed their self-testing.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I/M stands for Inspection & Maintenance and if you find it on your scanner it will list the state of readiness of the ones (about 8) that your RAV4 uses.
And while a car will set codes when it detects something wrong with the emissions systems, until it completes the readiness (monitor) procedures it hasn't "closed the loop" to verify nothing is wrong. The act of erasing codes also clears the monitors so they have to start over. More reading here:
https://www.obdautodoctor.com/scantool-garage/obd-readiness-monitors-explained

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Okay, a current example. Wife just came home saying the car is missing and there are dash lights on. Sure enough CE, VSC & 4WD lights and it is missing.
Connected my Autel Scanner. It read Cyl 6 misfire detected as a Pending code.
But before clearing the code I checked the monitor readiness, called System Status on the Autel. Got 7 ready and 0 inc (incomplete).

Replaced #6 coil and cleared the code. (Actually replaced #2 coil too because it failed on the test ride involving several full pedal launches - my favorite test!) Car is running good again but now I get 4 inc monitors. Since I know nothing else is wrong and it's not due for emission soon the monitors will complete when they get ready to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts