Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. It's finally here - codes P0420 & P0430 and my checklight is staying on so far. My car is a 2001 w/ under 45K miles.

I'm planning to go to my local dealership to hand over my car. Here's my concern. One time I had went to one of these dealerships regarding my poor gas mileage. They refused to hand me back my car unless I pay them $90. I didn't know what to do, so I paid the money and complained to the BBB about them. I know never to go back to that dealership for starters and the next time I'll call the police if they "try to hold my car hostage" again for work that is under warranty. Will calling the police work?

Anyway, I was just wondering since my appointment is tomorrow and I don't feel like getting jacked by another dealership. My original dealership was great and never charged a penny for the lousy gas mileage problem I had and still have.

Thanks for your help.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, for now all I got was a comp upgrade. I hope this ends my CEL problem, but I'll see soon enough.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I would like to know which dealer it is. So I know I have to stand clear of these Bozos. When your RAV4 is under warranty, they never charge a fee, for anything. Unless they don't have qualified mechanics and they run into something they don't know. Then they ask an independent mechanic to come take a look, and not even! :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mensajero,

Are you in PR? I'm in NYC.

I'll tell the dealers I liked in my area. :D

Hudson Toyota in Jersey City, NJ. I loved them. I don't have another car, so I can't take my car there because it's just too far and I have my daughter with me most of the time.

Plaza Toyota on Nostrand Ave. in Brooklyn, NY. I find that although they charge a bit more, by the time I pay tolls and gas to get to the Jersey City, I'm just better off staying in B'klyn. Instead I hop on the bus to go home until I'm called. They do have a shuttle service, but I think live further away than the 3 mile limit. Maybe I should check out the shuttle service next time. It might leave me within walking distance to my home.

Sorry I can't help w/ PR dealers. I told my husband that it's best for me to think that I'm going to pay and make them give me a complete breakdown of what they think I need. From there, I think it over and decide whether to go to them or to a local dealer. Nothing is free, IYKWIM.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you know how it goes growing up. Here's a good example:

From Marc Anthony's Preciosa song, "que aunque pase lo que pase yo seré puertorriqueño, yo seré puertorriqueño / por donde quiera que ande... y con orgullo repito yo te quiero Puerto Rico.”

"although what ever happens, happens, I will be Puerto Rican. I will be Puerto Rican for where ever I walk... and with pride I repeat, I love you Puerto Rico."

I love that song.
:D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IN RESPONSE TO THE PERSON WITH THE CEL PROBLEM,MY RAV4 IS A 2001 AND MY CEL LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN AT 60,000 MILES. THE CODE SHOWED P0420, CAT CONVERTER. I WENT BACK TO THE DEALER AT CAROUSEL TOYOTA IN GLEN MILLS,PA AND THEY CHANGEDTHE CONVERTER, AND CHANGED ALL THE SENSERS. THE WAS ALREADY OFF BEFORE I WENT BUT THE CODE STAYED IN. THIS WAS ALSO DONE 1YR. AGO. THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH THIS YR. AND MODEL FOR THE SENSERS AND OR CAT CONVERTERS. BUTB I WILL SAY I HAVEN'T BEEN TO A BETTER DEALER FOR SERVICE EVER. OH YEAH, STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND THE WAS $0.00

·
Registered
34 Posts
After trying to reset the light more than enough times for what one dealer coded as Fuel Injection needing to be overhauled (which maybe it did), this time I got the same codes at both Schucks & Autozone. I got an appointment with Rodland Toyota in Everett and took it in. They checked it out and ended up replacing the cat converter and updating the computer. So far so good, they had a very clean shop and treated us very nice. On warranty so no cost.

We've got about 48K on our 02.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the codes .. brought into the dealer ... changed the cat. converter (2001).

All that for free .. I was under the 130 000 km's / 8 years

Every since then, no problems .. if it lights up again, have to reprogram with the latest ECM version ..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trouble Code fixing.....

Have had this as a recurring issue with my 2001 Rav4 L, with the o2 sensors changed even. Found it "A LOT" cheaper to purchase a OBD II reader at Autozone (less than $100.00) and scan system and reset these o2 codes myself. As often as they come up, and dealerships wanting around the same amount per visit, and saying that its not covered........found it alot less frustrating to just reset it myself, and the performance doesnt change with or without the reset by the way. This is also on an engine that had to be rebuilt at 7500 miles, due to oil geling issue.......inwhich wasnt covered under warrenty (of course), and I had to pay for after fighting Toyota in arbitration (waste of time ie: Arbitrator paid for by Toyota, and I couldnt have legal advisor present, but Toyota had a lawyer from corperate office present to represent them) So, yes fixing the issues myself is alot less frustrating than dealing with the dealership rip-off service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts