Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several Rav4 users here that have opted for the Megan Racing coilovers, but has anyone ever tried some of the options for the GSA33W 2GRFE 4WD Vanguard?

In my new quest to modify my newly acquired 2009 Sport V6 XA30, I was hoping to improve the handling and possibly lower my .33 drag coefficient. I am used to a Cd of .26 in my previous car and know that I'll never come close to that in the Rav4. But if I can lower the Cd and improve handling, then it would be worth the effort. There is no snow in Dallas, so i have no concerns about height clearance on a lowered vehicle, but all of these would allow me to raise the Rav4 back to or higher than stock height in less than a couple of hours.

Brand:Megan Racing
Price: $900
Part Num: MR-CDK-TR406
Spring Rate F/R: 6K/6K
Features: 32 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment

Brand: BC
Price: $1000
Model: V1 Series
Part Num: VM-C-54
Features: 30 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment

Brand: Cusco
Price:
Model: Street ZERO BlueSTREET ZERO BLUE
Part Num: 940 62P CBA or 940 62P CBF
SKU: 79869
Spring Rate F/R: 7K/7K
Features: Damping force adjustment - Front: Non-Adjustable - Rear: 8-way adjustable

Brand: Largus
Price: $744
Model: SpecS
Part Num: 01011209040

Brand: RS*R
Price: $1038
Model: Basic ☆ i
Part Num: BAIT076M
Spring Rate F/R: 6/6.3
Features: 36 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment

Price: $1274
Model: Best ☆ i
Part Num: BIT076M

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Comments... thoughts?

Megan and BC coils are made by the same company...BC made in Taiwan.
Megan are considered Stage1 and BC are considered Stage2
Megan – good for light street use. These are good units for people on a budget.
BC – great for street use, hardcore cornering, and track use. I felt that the BC are a better quality unit.

I'll keep looking for more info on the Largus, Cusco and RSR.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still haven't made a decision. No one else seems interested in this but me - so this is more just for online note keeping.

Megan doesn't appear to be a good option. Those who have them installed, the lowering capability on the rear seems to be less than some of the other options. Since BC makes Megan coils, not sure if they would give me the lower capability that i want either. Cusco has the stiffer 7K spring rate but its only 8 way adjust able and like Megan and BC doesn't have the lowering capability that i want. Largus isn't popular so there isn't a lot of info out there but looks promising for lowering capability and price. RS*R are the most expensive options, have the best lowering capability. Difference between Basic and Best version is the Best is 36 way adjustable.

Brand:Megan Racing
Part Num: MR-CDK-TR406
Features: 32 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment, capable of handling a +2kg/mm or -2kg/mm change in spring rates, Monotube design.
Ride Height Adjustable Range - no info

Brand: BC
Model: V1 Series
Part Num: VM-C-54
Features: 30 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment, Choice of spring rate
44mm diameter piston
Ride Height Adjustable Range - no info

Brand: Cusco
Model: Street ZERO BlueSTREET ZERO BLUE
Part Num: 940-60P-CBA or 940 62P CBF
SKU: 79869
Spring Rate F/R: 7K/7K
Features: Damping force adjustment - Front: Non-Adjustable - Rear: 8-way adjustable
Ride Height Adjustable lowest drop: F -50mm R -40mm

Brand: Largus
Model: SpecS
Part Num: 01011209040
Ride Height Adjustable Range: F: 713mm - 805mm / R: 765mm - 810mm

Price: $1038
Model: Basic ☆ i
Part Num: BAIT076M
Recommended car high adjustment width (mm) F/-15 - -60 R/-20 - -70
Recommended car high (mm) F/-30 - -35 R/-45 - -50
Maximum adjustment width (mm) F/0 - -110 R/-20 - -70

Price: $1274
Model: Best ☆ i
Part Num: BIT076M
Ride Height Adjustable Range: F: 713mm - 805mm / R: 765mm - 810mm

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not sure why the silence. I thought people would be all over suspension modifications. I'll keep reading to see if I can learn something. I just have H&R lowering springs to try help decrease coefficient of drag (Like you stated you are trying to do). This does look interesting.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure I'm gonna move on a completely different brand. CEIKA - they are a smaller company that started in Australia - now in Tawain that do mostly custom parts. Even the Coils aren't sitting on the shelf but are made to order.

https://ceika-store.com/search?q=Toyota+RAV4

CEIKA said:
Our coilovers have been put to the test by a lot of customers worldwide on a daily basis, and they are loving the quality, reliability and durability of our coilovers as well as our excellent customer service and support.

We have had many professional rally drivers or racing teams comparing our coilovers and the ride quality along with famous racing suspension brands.

We have also had a WRC/top-end suspension builder in Australia inspected and dynoed our coilovers, and they reported that for the price it was excellent value and better quality compared to much more expensive brands. (They build $8000~ pro rally and racing suspensions).

Whether looking for comfort or high performance racing suspensions, contact us and tell us what you need and we will advise you the best suited setup for your use and budget.

At CEIKA, our passion for performance parts and motorsports does not stop at providing quality parts to our customers. We are also car enthusiasts/horsepower addicts and building performance cars from chassis to engine building/tuning is also our main hobby.
I'm looking at purchasing these:

Custom Front Spring Rates (8kg/mm)
Custom Rear Spring Rates (6kg/mm)
Valve Type - Standard High Performance Valves with valving matching your spring rates
Front Top Mount - Standard Alloy top plates with inner rubber bush
Rear Top Mount - Standard Alloy top plates with inner rubber bush
Custom height (extra lowering) and customized shock travel.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure why the silence. I thought people would be all over suspension modifications. I'll keep reading to see if I can learn something. I just have H&R lowering springs to try help decrease coefficient of drag (Like you stated you are trying to do). This does look interesting.
I know you were originally concerned about lowering your Rav4 due to the weather - These guys can make custom setups that allow for additional clearance over stock during winter and lowering for all other conditions.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I know you were originally concerned about lowering your Rav4 due to the weather - These guys can make custom setups that allow for additional clearance over stock during winter and lowering for all other conditions.
That's perfect then. Tore my bottom piece off parking in my driveway with snow and never replaced it. That piece helps with aerodynamics. Thanks for the heads up on that suspension setups versatility.

What are you going with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you going with?
Pretty sure I'm gonna move on CEIKA - the Coils aren't sitting on the shelf but are "made to order".

https://ceika-store.com/search?q=Toyota+RAV4

I'm looking at purchasing these:

Custom Front Spring Rates (8kg/mm)
Custom Rear Spring Rates (6kg/mm)
Valve Type - Standard High Performance Valves with valving matching your spring rates
Front Top Mount - Standard Alloy top plates with inner rubber bush
Rear Top Mount - Standard Alloy top plates with inner rubber bush
Custom height and customized shock travel (extra lowering)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 weeks later after purchasing the CEIKA coilovers - they are finally shipping from Taiwan. Will post when they are finally arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think you found some pretty sweet options there. And I like that you guys post stuff like performance options.

I think people are silent for a couple of reasons, but try not to let it discourage you because it's not personal. I feel like for myself and most people on here our Rav4 is an excellent all around'er vehicle and there's a lot more interest in keeping them in tip top shape and saving money on repairs versus any kind of performance stuff or trying to change the look. It's more about having pride in a well oiled machine that looks and drives well like it just came from the showroom floor than owning them as a kit car/performance car. The other thing is the Ravs are/were designed to be A-to-B mom-mobiles with some more utility to them, they were never really intended to fabbed on. The 4.3 gens with the V6s have a lot of potential to them for their weight, size, and power but they also don't really have any aftermarket to back that idea up so everything is a reach on them.

Which is sad but just is what it is I guess. I like your guys' creativity and trying to change that. In my experience coming from owning two Miatas and seeing friends with Tacomas and FJs where there are worlds of options to change every aspect of the vehicle, I've just come to the conclusion that if I want to tinker on a level like coil overs then I gotta buy the vehicle that is/was designed for that kind of world and not the otherway around. That's why I ordered and stuck with the factory suspension upgrades on my recent swap, I've just run into this issue in the past of trying to stick a square peg into a round hole and realizing it's too much of an uphill battle.

Looking forward to seeing how they handle once you get them in!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks pretty good! Anyone know what the stock OEM and stock heavy duty OEM spring rates are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried Megan racing

I tried a variety of suspension setups on my 13 RAV4EV. Bought Megan racing kit but after trying their springs and doing my won spring rate measurements, I realized their springs are way off the mark, but the shock absorbers were decent, so I kept those.

The Ceikas look appealing, especially with the custom springs!

Does anyone know what the rates are for comfort, sport, etc?
thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not saying your incorrect, but those spring rates seem off. I would think minimum oem sport spring rate would be around 6kg (336lb). But my 8kg (448lb) front and 7kg (392lb) rear setup when on the softest strut/shock settings felt squishier than the oem Sport setup.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts