Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth me ripping out the stock airbox and installing a Cold Air Intake (conical filter and new pipe?) How much is this gonna cost me, how much is gonna give me( power wise) and how much noise is it gonna make?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, what is a good CAI to buy off the net and how much power can i expect?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ebay has some intakes for the RAV4 that are usually availiable from any between 25-45 USD. Also, rav4oz's shop has a great cold air extension system which would give you some extra horses. I have a bomz intake on my RAV and have noticed a difference in accleration, not too drastic, but when it gets into the upper RPMs you can really feel it start to pull. Also, you will get a nice growl coming from your engine bay which is always welcome. i would definitely look into getting a new intake as a good introduction to modding your RAV.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I would be curious to know how much hp the intake adds on the RAV.... I know it's not going to be much.... one thing that would make a huge difference is a fuel controller... having an air/fuel gauge that also reads injector duty cycle I can tell that there is some free HP to make by tuning it.... of course it isn't free though cause you will have to buy a fuel controller and tune it on a Dyno to really see the actual gains... :p

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Well, I'm speaking because of my personal experience. Yes it does work. As long as you are willing to go all the way. This is intake, Header, Exhausts pipe 2.25, and Muffler. It will pick up about 8 to 9 HP, some fuel economy, [depending on driving habits] and a cool sound. The Intake Kit offered by RAV4OZ, is even better. Your engine will suck up all the cold air from the bottom of the RAV4 splash shroud and direct it to your intake. A little test with a little pocket rocket. Check it out below.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0207it_ppcivic/

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
One major thing you have to be careful with cold air intakes is that they don't suck up alot of water, otherwise you're engine could hydrolock and then you will need another engine... to me the gain is not worth the risks.... AEM makes bypass valves which goes in between part of the piping that is supposed to keep the water from being sucked up... but either way if you have the cold air intake too low to where if you hit puddles or go through deep water you will be more likely to suck up a lot of water in the intake....
That is something serious to consider before using or installing one....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where?

Where can I buy this CAI? Doesn't AEM / Injen / ... has one?

Thank you

·
Registered
682 Posts
That pic up above is not a CAI. It's a sports intake you can buy off Ebay. I also have one in my RAV but i've modified it into a CAI now. And the point made earlier about water injestion is true. If that's gonna pose a problem then i'd think twice about a CAI. For me it does not pose a problem. And even if i had to drive thru deep water i can just disconnect the hose that joins my shielded pod filter so no water can get into the engine. Below are a couple of pics of my CAI.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Mohit said:
And even if i had to drive thru deep water i can just disconnect the hose that joins my shielded pod filter so no water can get into the engine. Below are a couple of pics of my CAI.
Problem is there that you're not going to be driving along and then be able to jump out of the car and convert it to a shortram intake in time to avoid big puddles of water or possible water splashes that are injested by your intake... you're running a big risk of driving in heavy rains or where there is deep water or puddles....
Mohit, or anyone even considering installing a CAI , I strongly suggest or recommend installing one of these :

AEM sells these in different sizes... and they only cost around 35-45 US dollars, people sell them on ebay too...

Here is a quote by AEM about their bypass valves:

"AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in"

·
Registered
682 Posts
All the rain we get in Melbourne (which isn't much) doesn't pool up into big puddles so i'm not too worried. Plus i would have to fully submerge my air intake point in water and then the water would have to travel up the pipe to get to the filter. Possibility of that happening here is almost nil.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So far I have been through some major downpours and splashed through deep puddles at speed; without any interference to my CAI. I cannot say that I have been in water deep enough to submerge my CAI front air scoop; but I would really think twice about entering water that deep in the first place. :lol:

So truthfully, from experience, I haven't had any problems with my ram air intake on many occassions of heavy rain if that is of any help. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you've got any issues with getting air from down low (which is best), get it from above instead.... install a snorkel on your ride. This is especially good for people doing river-crossings. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
plastic

Mohit, doesn't the plastic gets warm? It's in an engine bay and that place usually gets rather hot.. :)

My opinion, isn't it better to go with a metal piping? I'll probably go a grab one today or tomorrow, and attach an aem filter to that.

CAI's give more power than short rams.. Or yeah, snorkels is maybe a better solution for the offroad days :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yup Mike, plastic does retain alot of heat; probably not as much as metal though. :roll: That's why you should go with carbon fiber, one of the best materials to use for heat resistance.

I've noticed that as hard as I can push the engine (and the resultant heat build up in the engine compartment); this setup runs flawless. It always gets a blast of cool air from the front of my RAV!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mike, the plastic get hot (as does everything else in the engine bay) but not that hot. Other plastic components get hotter. I guess the chromey finish helps to reflect some of the heat and as Derek said, it's always getting cool air from down low.

One of these days i'm going to hook up a digital thermometer to the intake pipe and see what the temp readings are.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys.

Derek.. is that a custom cf pipe? I'm looking for a CAI for a 2000 Rav4. - and none of the 'online shops" seem to have them.. Just putting a filter on there won't work since there's a sensor..

·
Registered
682 Posts
In the RAV4OZ.com online shop you can buy a couple of items to make your own CAI. You can buy a sports air intake kit and a CAI extension kit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts