Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
I would be curious to know how much hp the intake adds on the RAV.... I know it's not going to be much.... one thing that would make a huge difference is a fuel controller... having an air/fuel gauge that also reads injector duty cycle I can tell that there is some free HP to make by tuning it.... of course it isn't free though cause you will have to buy a fuel controller and tune it on a Dyno to really see the actual gains... :p

· Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
One major thing you have to be careful with cold air intakes is that they don't suck up alot of water, otherwise you're engine could hydrolock and then you will need another engine... to me the gain is not worth the risks.... AEM makes bypass valves which goes in between part of the piping that is supposed to keep the water from being sucked up... but either way if you have the cold air intake too low to where if you hit puddles or go through deep water you will be more likely to suck up a lot of water in the intake....
That is something serious to consider before using or installing one....

· Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
Mohit said:
And even if i had to drive thru deep water i can just disconnect the hose that joins my shielded pod filter so no water can get into the engine. Below are a couple of pics of my CAI.
Problem is there that you're not going to be driving along and then be able to jump out of the car and convert it to a shortram intake in time to avoid big puddles of water or possible water splashes that are injested by your intake... you're running a big risk of driving in heavy rains or where there is deep water or puddles....
Mohit, or anyone even considering installing a CAI , I strongly suggest or recommend installing one of these :

AEM sells these in different sizes... and they only cost around 35-45 US dollars, people sell them on ebay too...

Here is a quote by AEM about their bypass valves:

"AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.